samsung s4 battery life after 4.4.2 update
szilli27
Enthusiast - Level 1

After updating to the 4.4.2 update on the Samsung Galaxy S4 my battery lasts maybe 5 hours with no use. I take it off the charger (100%) and within 2 hours am at 75-80% with no use and in sleep mode. I have adjusted the screen brightness to almost nothing clear the cache hourly. This is riduculous. I did not have this problem with the previous version of Android.

Also the GPS randomly pauses itself in the middle of a trip and have missed exits and other things since I didn't realize it had paused itself, and this keeps happening even on short trips. I did not have this problem wither prio to the update.

Does anyone have any suggestions, besides factory restoring the phone.

Labels (1)
Re: samsung s4 battery life after 4.4.2 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get you back to business with a phone that works properly, szilli27. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. When checking battery statistics in Settings>Battery, what are some of the top processes using the battery? In regards to the GPS what are the current location settings on the device found under Settings>Location. I am eager to get to the bottom of this!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
Johnschiap
Enthusiast - Level 2

With all due respect YaleK_VZW, your desire "to get to the bottom of this" rings a little hollow given that people have been complaining about this exact problem since the spring when the update rolled out. I have a DNA with a battery drain problem and have been searching user forums, both VZW and third party, for a solution. So far, there doesn't seem to be a single solution, just a bunch of patchwork fixes to eke out a little extra power. Maybe the L update will fix this problem, but that seems months off for most users.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Johnschiap,

We do want to get to the bottom of the trouble you are having! We want to identify anything that might be causing a battery to drain on you and get that working for you so you can enjoy your phone as it was designed to be enjoyed. I'd like to be able to replicate what is happening here so I can find the root cause and get that lasting for you as it should. Could you provide us some additional details regarding four things on that phone?

1. What are the applications installed in the device?
2. Is the location setting ON?
3. What are the applications that are using Recent Location Requests?
4. Is the Google location Reporting turned on?

We appreciate those details as that helps to find the solution both for yourself and any of our clients experiencing this issue.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Scoobyshack
Enthusiast - Level 3

Honestly Brian, as the previous two users and countless others have said, the problem is the Kitkat update. Now you have gotten to the bottom of it - when is Verizon fixing it?

Johnschiap
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't want to hijack this thread from the OP szilli27, so I will start my own thread. Address my issues there, please, and kindly respond to szilli's issues here.

0 Likes
EvlNvrDys
Contributor - Level 1

One thing I read pertaining to a Galaxy S3 with KitKat battery issues worked for a friend of mine and you may want to try the same.  Anything is worth a shot at this point.

Remove the battery for 5-10 minutes, then restart your phone.

Friend with GS3 went from charging daily to now getting 2 days between charges.

As for the GPS, I'm sorry but I don't have any ideas on that one.

0 Likes