text messages
preskitdi

I am receiving and sending text messages that go out or come in as multiple pieces instead of one continuous message.  One I sent out was received in 5 smaller pieces and not in any kind of order.  All my sent and received messages are from Verizon users and we all are seeing these weird pieces of messages.  What is happening? 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: text messages
caj009

That happens when using a Droid to send to an iPhone or vice versa. If you're sending Droid-to-Droid or iPhone-to-iPhone, it shouldn't happen. I've seen this go on for years now since I've have Droids & my wife has had iPhones, but several of our friends see it, too.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a very strange occurrence, preskitdi. I know I would be asking the same thing too. Let’s partner up and find a solution. When did this start happening? Does it happen 100% of the time to all of your contacts or is it only happening with a specific number(s)? What messaging application are you using? Keep us posted.

AnthonyC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

caj009 wrote:

That happens when using a Droid to send to an iPhone or vice versa. If you're sending Droid-to-Droid or iPhone-to-iPhone, it shouldn't happen. I've seen this go on for years now since I've have Droids & my wife has had iPhones, but several of our friends see it, too.

Ummmmm. No.

It happens because the Verizon network only allows 160 characters in a text message. If it is longer than that it will send or be received in as many smaller 160 character messages needed to send or receive the entire message. When it's broken up during the sending or receiving process it does not get delivered in any order. When emojis are used then it becomes even more of a nightmare. This can be avoided by using an app like WhatsApp but both parties would have to be willing to download and use that app.

When you are talking about iOS to Android some of the information is true but in no way do messages more than 160 characters get sent or received in whole via SMS. If both parties are iPhone users AND iMessage is enabled then longer messages can be sent and received as these iMessages do not use the Verizon SMS network. iMessages are sent through a data connection, either 3G, LTE or over WiFi. However, if one or more of the parties does not have iMessage enabled and the message goes through the VZW SMS network then only 160 characters will be sent at a time.

I have experienced this multiple messages with friends and family who have both Android and iOS devices. It doesn't matter the device or the carrier. Any SMS that is sent or received through the Verizon network will be limited to 160 characters.

0 Likes
caj009

Um, yes. I've had several Droid-to-Droid conversations with different people where a text box will take up the entire phone screen as a single text & iMessage won't be involved. Alternatively, smaller messages get split when messaging iPhone users every time. First hand experience lines up with my initial statement, so I'm not sure what apps you have involved that are breaking your larger texts up every time.

0 Likes