Caller ID Displays Unknown Name instead of number
lowchroma
Enthusiast - Level 2

This problem started yesterday. When I get a call on my Iphone 6s, and the number is not in my contact list, the Caller ID displays "Unknown Name" and will not display the phone number. I can view the number only when I look at my call log after the phone stops ringing and it has gone to voicemail. This is incredibly annoying because I'd rather see the phone number to determine if it's a spam/auto dialer, which it usually is or if it's someone from my area. Prior to yesterday my phone would display the phone number. How do I get this to revert back? There does not appear to be a setting for it, and I have not modified any settings myself.

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Likes
39 Replies
ihateregistering4stf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, can I remove this from one line and not the other on my account?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ihateregistering4stf,

We want to set you up for success. Depending on how you are enrolled in Call Filter (individually by line, or as a family) you may have the option to remove from one line or another. The unsubscribe instructions can be found here: http://spr.ly/66041UqUQ

ColinH_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to view the actual number that is calling you is very important, Teambedell. I am happy to go over some details with you. Please know that we never add a feature to your account without your consent. Our premium Call Filter feature requires that an application be installed on your phone in order for the enhanced Caller ID to work. We offer a free version of the Call Filter application. Below is a link with more details about the Call Filter feature:

http://spr.ly/6607E06FV

In regard to the Caller ID, when you go into your 'Settings' and then 'General', followed by 'About', what is listed for 'Version'? Is your device displaying the 'Unknown Name' for all numbers that are not saved in your contact list?

GregL_VZW

0 Likes
hal78
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having this same issue with my new iphone XR.  Is there a setting somewhere that can be adjusted to show the phone number of the person calling??  Thank you!

bobbis27
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just switched to Verizon and this is driving me batty. I'd rather see the number if the number isn't in my contacts.

0 Likes
JMT13
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just started having the same problem with a 6s that I've had for years.  Also causing me major problems using my phone for work purposes.  Get off your butts and fix this annoying problem, Verizon!

ND7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Turning off HD Voice in your Verizon app (under Account: Add-Ons: HD Voice) fixed this problem for me. New Verizon user with iPhone XR.

rensides

After having this issue drive me crazy for months (and no resolution after speaking with Verizon reps), I read this thread and removed HD Voice AND Call Filter from the MyVerizon app on my phone.  Problem solved!  Go to the MyVerizon app on your phone>my account>add-ons and select the app you want to remove and the line you want it removed from.  Numbers are displaying again!

0 Likes
Oertwigmm
Enthusiast - Level 1

Me too, makes my job incredibly difficult.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

haleyrivers, having the number appear correctly on your device is a must. Let's get this figured out. Did you install anything new on your device? Are you using Wi-Fi calling on the device? Click here for instructions: http://spr.ly/6600EnVim

AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question, please click the ?Correct Answer? Button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lowchroma
Enthusiast - Level 2

This problem has resurfaced (again) starting about 3-4 days ago. I'm getting either "Unknown Name" or the City from where the call originated from on the caller ID. I strongly prefer that the number shows instead of unknown name or the city. VW, please state what causes this problem.

Thank you

GREENETURTLE77
Enthusiast - Level 1

And why is this still not resolved since November? Is nobody else inconvenienced by this problem? I am paying for caller id. I should be able to see the name (if there is one) AND the phone number for incoming calls. I can see the number after the caller has hung up or gone to voicemail in the call log. Why won't it show up when the phone is ringing? Unacceptable.

MALVAR
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also pay to have caller ID displayed and this is getting me very upset with Verizon

GREENETURTLE77
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have this issue too. It started when I signed up for caller ID. I think it's ridiculous that I can't see the number and the name at the same time. If this can't be fixed then I will stop paying for caller id.

nicoleb_vzw
Verizon Employee

Having your phone display the number can really come in handy lowchroma. We want to make sure we  get this back with your phone. Did any apps or software update when you noticed the change with the display? Are all your saved contacts displaying correctly when they call you?

NicoleB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lowchroma
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Nicole, I haven't updated any significant apps to my knowledge. I have updated the fitbit and untapped app. My saved contacts are displaying correctly. my phone is requesting I update ios 10.1.1 but I have not done that yet.

0 Likes
lowchroma
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any updates Nicole?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want your names to always display properly lowchroma. Did you update the software on your device? Updated software can fix minor issues with your phone.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lowchroma
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have made any/all software updates and the problem persists.