Abnormal data usage
KT1030

On June 24 at 12:06 pm, when I was at home and on wifi, there was a data usage of .59483 GB on my iPhone 7. Later that day, when I was driving for Uber and streaming Pandora, the data usage was .74552 GB. Compare this to June 9 when I used data in a similar way, but only used .11801 GB. What is the reason for this extreme jump in data usage and also for using data when I was actually not using data? I do have wifi assist turned off. Because of this spike, I have been charged for going over my usage when I shouldn't have gone over.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Abnormal data usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@KT1030 Understanding how data works is necessary. All smartphones required data to function properly.  Not all applications use the same amount of data. Everything is a little different based on the time, the processing and more. Please visit our “Data Usage FAQs” page http://vz.to/2n4S44N refer to # 1 for additional information. 

EvelynR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

That .59483 GB could have been usage that occurred 8 or more hours before you see it on your account online. The time you see isn't the actual time of usage, it is time of reporting from the tower. Pandora will use data if you are not connected to WiFi and so will any GPS maps application (Apple Maps, Google Maps, WAZE, TomTom, MapQuest). Also, check your background app refresh data setting. Any app in the background that is refreshing WILL use data.

0 Likes
CHRJAR21

Just checked our bill, because like everyone else, once we upgraded the data plan we again are reaching the limit.  We DID have 4 phones and now only 3 but STILL almost reaching the limit.  We used to have 4 phones and 8 gigs...since we were getting close we updated it to 12 gigs to be safe ...now they are giving me 2 bonus gigs and we are down to only 3 pones and getting close to 16 GIGS.  ALSO something is happening every couple of days like in the wee hours of the morning using a HUGE amount of data and then again exactly 6 hours later, then 6 hours later again....ALL WHILE I'M ON WiFi??  But this is happening on ALL 3 PHONES!  Seems a little strange!  Even if it IS pinging to the tower to send our data usage WHY is it using data while I am on WiFi????  Seems a little suspicious, huh?

By the way, I have contacted Verizon and the man I spoke to tried to give me some lame excuse about maybe my WiFi cuts off sometimes....well, that doesn't explain how I'm having data usage while I'm ASLEEP...or why it is happening every 6 hours to the minute.  I got no useful or plausible explanation.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CHRJAR21, as a mother of 3, I know that keeping the usage down is crucial to balancing the budget. You mentioned that the phones are showing data when not in use and connected to Wi-Fi, however, are the screens timed out? On many makes and models when the screen is locked, that Wi-Fi connection is no longer active. One trick that we use in our home is to turn off the Cellular or Mobile data when we are home so that any usage, no matter the size, has to be completed via Wi-Fi or it will fail. Having that safety net is always a good option.

LorenB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes