Bought new got refurbished
Frey126
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife and I just updated to the 6plus 10 days ago.  Over the weekend I realized the phone would not vibrate.  Went through a chat with Apple support to no avail, brought the phone back into the Verizon Wireless store and they couldn't fix it so they were going to have a new phone sent to me.  The phone was delivered the next day.  Only problem was that it was a refurbished phone.  The original was barely a week old and Verizon thinks its ok to sent me a used phone?!  One that probably had issues at some point otherwise it wouldn't of needed to be refurbished.  I bought a new phone.  I am paying for a new phone.  If I wanted a refurbished phone I would of bought one.  Very disappointed.

Labels (1)
Re: Bought new got refurbished
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all if you returned it to the store within 14 days, they should have simply given you a new phone off the shelf. That is what the 14 day return period is for. This was a Christmas present or you purchased after Christmas? Christmas is 12 days ago and purchases made prior to 12/23 are already at the 14 day mark.

Second, manufacturers warranty stipulates that you will get a refurbished device. After the 14 day return period, that is what you will get. POSSIBLY if you bring it to an Apple store you will get a new device because THEY are the manufacturer and can make that decision. Verizon will simply follow the manufacturers warranty and give you what the warranty provides. You don't want a refurbished replacement, don't get it replaced via a method which states that is what you will get.

Lastly, you have no way of knowing that the phone you got is "older" than the one you returned for replacement. Do you think you are the only person who returned a phone within a short period of time. The phone you returned will end up being a "refurbished" unit and someone who returned a phone after having it for 6 months could eventually get your "10 day old device" after it having been refurbished yet they will most likely complain the same as you that they got a "refurbished" device when returning a "new" device when in fact the device they got in exchange actually has LESS use then the one they returned. So as I said, you have no way of knowing if the device you got in exchange has more use than the one you returned, only that it was "refurbished" as the manufacturers warranty allows.

Frey126
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone was purchased on December 27.  I went into the store on Monday (that would be 8 days).  Since I took the phone back to the Verizon store, I would think their sales rep's would know about the 14 day policy and would of said that.

What are you talking about?  The phone I bought was brand NEW.  I took it back after 8 days.  Chances are the refurbished phone is probably not newer then 8 days old.  So yeah I would say I have a pretty good idea the phone I returned was newer.

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

Frey, the store should've given you a new phone right there on the spot. Did they not have one in stock? You have 14 days to return or exchange the phone. After the 14 day period everything would be done via support and the mail.

Frey126
Enthusiast - Level 2

They didn't even give me the option.  Having only had the phone for just over a week a assumed I was being sent a new phone.  Never had to return a phone before so I just assumed the sent phone would be new.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Frey126 wrote:

The phone was purchased on December 27.  I went into the store on Monday (that would be 8 days).  Since I took the phone back to the Verizon store, I would think their sales rep's would know about the 14 day policy and would of said that.

Like I said, you should have gotten one off the shelf and should not have let them "send" you one. I would have asked for an exchange for a "new in store device" because it was within 14 days.

Frey126 wrote:

What are you talking about?  The phone I bought was brand NEW.  I took it back after 8 days.  Chances are the refurbished phone is probably not newer then 8 days old.  So yeah I would say I have a pretty good idea the phone I returned was newer.

Really??? I bet someone returning a phone after 12 days would use the same argument as you yet if they received YOUR phone after being refurbished they would be incorrect because YOURS would only be 8 days old while theirs was 12 days old. As I stated, you have no way of knowing which phone is "older".

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

Call the store, talk to the manager, see if they can help. If not, escalate to district manager. If that still doesn't resolve the issue find out who manages the region. Regardless, this shouldn't have happened and I would be pissed to get a refurbished phone when I purchased one new that was defective. I would want a like for like trade.

rcschnoor
Legend

nicholas_g wrote:

Call the store, talk to the manager, see if they can help. If not, escalate to district manager. If that still doesn't resolve the issue find out who manages the region. Regardless, this shouldn't have happened and I would be ****** to get a refurbished phone when I purchased one new that was defective. I would want a like for like trade.

I would certainly try this. A purchase made on 12/27 is STILL within the 14 day exchange/return period. I would go back to the store, inform the manager you received a refurbished device instead of a new device during the 14 day return period and you would like a new one in exchange.

Frey126
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you purchase something brand new (as in unused, not refurbished), the expectation usually is that it will work.  If, as in this case it does not work, it should be replaced with another new product.

Frey126
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am planning on going back today.  Just wanted to vent and see if anyone had a explanation as to why Verizon would think replacing a 8 day old new phone with a refurbished one was acceptable (regardless of how many days old the refurbished one may be).  I bought a new phone.

0 Likes