Can I use an unlocked iPhone 6, A1586 model with Verizon?
Mr_Vlad

I bought an unlocked iPhone 6 (A1586 model) overseas and wondering whether I can use it with Verizon, here in US. It looks like it has all the right bands and even extra LTE bands, used in China & Europe. Please help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use an unlocked iPhone 6, A1586 model with Verizon?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. The IMEI number of the device isn't in the Verizon Wireless database of compatible devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. The IMEI number of the device isn't in the Verizon Wireless database of compatible devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
alku

@Ann154, how do you know this? Can you provide a citation for your claim?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Ann154  is correct in that if you try to activate the phone on Verizon, Verizon will not see the phone's IMEI number in their database and will not activate it. 

However, there is report in other forums where someone took an already activated SIM from a Verizon phone, put it in a TMobile version A1549 and the phone worked, including CDMA.  I did not see anyone doing this with an unlocked international  A1586,  Try that and report back. A1549 are sold in US locked for Sprint and US Cellular so those domestic ones won't work since they are locked.  No guarantees, but no risk to try.   Just know if you get a new SIM from Verizon and try to activate it, it won't. 

0 Likes
AR19

I was just given an iPhone A1586 as a present. I called and spoke with a representative, who was able to register the IMEI number (which is on the box) and model number (also on the back of the box and on the phone) and find a SIM card for it. The SIM card is being sent to me and should arrive in 2 days, after which I can activate it over the phone. So, it looks possible - hopefully won't have to write back that it didn't work after all.

0 Likes
TEWJR

Hey, did you ever get this model  iPhone A1586 to work correctly on Verizon,  or was there still this problem with the IMEI. I am trying to figure out which model iphone to get so if in the future I want to switch between Verizon or ATT in the USA I can do so?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Get the Verizon Wireless version of the iPhone and it will also work on AT&T.

0 Likes
ihop23947
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
wynnnj1977
Enthusiast - Level 3

1) If the phone was bought outside US? (most likely your case). You can use the activated verizon SIM card, everything will work. But the problem is verizon will not recognize the device (not on their "whitelist") so you can't get support from them and you can't activate a new number with this phone.

2) If you buy a phone from the US apple store as an unlocked (SIM free) iPhone, you won't get any problem to activate it with verizon because it is on their "whitelist". You just have to go to Verizon store and get a new SIM card because this SIM free phone doesn't come with SIM card.

Hope it helps

0 Likes