Can a hacker use someone elses phone number to send and receive messages without the owner of the number ever knowing?
TREKEU27
Enthusiast - Level 1

My wife and I are are both verizon customers.  I happened to download the verizon messaging app to monitor our lines.  I found 100s of messages from my wife's number, sent to her number by other people and from her number to those other people.  Basically there were conversations that she swears she never had.  Ive heard of spoofing and whatever, but can a back and forth conversation be had without the owner of the phone number really not being aware?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can a hacker use someone elses phone number to send and receive messages without the owner of the number ever knowing?
bbrdtylr
Contributor - Level 2

In order for the messages to show up in the log, they would have been sent through the service. Someone would have to access the her Messages account in order for it to show up in the log. Short answer: I'm sure it is possible, it would require hacking your account so I recommend you change all passwords.

If it was being spoofed and her number was used as caller id in another service or app, those messages would not show up in her log.

View solution in original post

Re: Can a hacker use someone elses phone number to send and receive messages without the owner of the number ever knowing?
TREKEU27
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is my first time posting.  Should this be a discussion or a question?

0 Likes
bbrdtylr
Contributor - Level 2

In order for the messages to show up in the log, they would have been sent through the service. Someone would have to access the her Messages account in order for it to show up in the log. Short answer: I'm sure it is possible, it would require hacking your account so I recommend you change all passwords.

If it was being spoofed and her number was used as caller id in another service or app, those messages would not show up in her log.