Can not connect to internet with Verizon USB modem
LCPaskay

I have two Macbook laptops. Hardware-wise they are almost identical. One is running on an Intel 2.4 Core 2 Duo chip and a NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB graphics chip. The other is running on an Intel 2.5 Core i5 chip and an Intel HD Graphic 4000 chip.

Both operating systems are the same: OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

Both are using the same Verizon Mobile Broadband app: SmartMobility 0.1.57.14

Both are using the same browser: Safari 7.0.6

Both are on the same wifi network.

Both are able to connect with and activate the Verizon Mobile Broadband USB modem device: 4G LTE Pantech 295. Once connected the clock is running.

Only one is able to connect with the internet. I have tried with Safari, Chrome and Firefox. None of those browsers can connect to the internet thru the Verizon modem. Only wifi makes the connection.

Can you tell me how to fix this?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can not connect to internet with Verizon USB modem
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LCPaskay,

I am so sorry that you are having these connection issues. Which laptop exactly is the one that is not able to connect to the internet? Do you receive an error message? What exact make/model USB modem do you have?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LCPaskay

Hello Lindsey,

I've already spent TWO HOURS with VZW tier 2 tech support and he could not solve the problem but I'll tell you the same thing.

In the recent past I was able to connect to the internet with the following set up.

As stated in my original post: I'm using a Macbook Pro 13 inch, Mid 2010 laptop with the following: Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory 16gb 1067 MHz DDR3. NVIDIA GeForce 320 M 256 MB graphic chip. This laptop is running OX 10.9.5 (13F34).

Both USB ports on the laptop are working with no problems.

I'm using a USB modem antenna purchased at the Verizon store. It is a Pantech UML 295 4G LTE 3G EVDO.

Previously with the above set up I was able to connect to the internet. Now I am not able to do so. The USB modem, utilizing the VZW broadband manager interface, is able to make a connection and the clock is running. But when I try to connect to the internet (via Safari, or Chrome, or Firefox as my browser) I am unable to connect and I get an error message that reads something like this: Unable to connect to the internet or this computer is currently offline.

I am also not able to connect to the internet via Skype.

As stated in my original post, I have another laptop with an almost identical set up. In that other laptop the USB modem WILL connect to the internet although the speed is extremely low. Less than 1gb upload.

Your Tier 2 tech support was not able to tell me why the USB modem would work in one but not the other, even though they are nearly identical laptops, and he was not able to tell me how to fix the problem. Nor was he able to give me a link, or send me a file, to reinstall the USB broadband manager software. The interface of the VZW broadband manager tells me the firmware is updated and DOES NOT have a setting for an Enhanced App.

Since an internet connection is required the following instructions do not work for me:

Macintosh

1. Access the Verizon Mobile Broadband Manager interface.
  2. Click Menu (located in the upper-right)
  3. From the Settings' tab, click Install Enhanced App (located within the Updates section on the left).
  4. Click Install Enhanced App.
    Note An Internet connection is required to begin the download process. If necessary, click Connect (located at the top).
  5. Locate then double-click VMBM_mac.dmg.
  6. Double-click Verizon Mobile Broadband Manager Installer.pkg.

The 'Install Enhanced App" is NOT available under the settings tab menu.

Since your tech support could not solve the problem another Pantech 295 modem is being shipped to me, free of charge.

Since the Pantech 295 modem I have already does work in my other laptop I am very doubtful a new (refurbished) Pantech 295 USB modem will correct the problem. But since this shipped USB modem is free I will try it.

What is your solution to my problem?

Thank you,

LCPaskay

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Wow that's frustrating! Just a suggestion if the replacement doesn't work- if you live near an Apple Store you may want to take it in for an appointment with a 'Genuis'. They have been a great help to some. The Vzw employees are not apple geniuses and receive less training. I hope you get it up and running soon 🙂

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LCPaskay

Thank you so much for taking the time to work with our Tech Support! I'm glad they've been able to send you out a replacement device. Based on the steps you've been through, this is definitely the best step to take. Please let us know if the replacement device does not work better for you!

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes