Can't send texts to other iPhone users
RBeutel

Why don't my texts go through to other iPhone users? This just started a couple of days ago. iMessage is turned on, I've reset network connections, reset phone.....nothing works. It's very frustrating! I can't even text my husband who is on the same plan. My phone shows messages were delivered but he doesn't get them.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't send texts to other iPhone users
SeriouslyLainey
Contributor - Level 1

If your communications issues are limited strictly to Apple devices, ensure that they have iMessage turned ON in Settings-Messages-iMessage.  Be sure that the 'Send & Receive' option includes your current phone number for iMessage - IF that's the desired method of contact -  if they're using their AppleID for iMessaging and you're texting/iMessaging to a phone number (or vice versa), then messages won't be received because of the device settings.  You may want to check your own device as well - to be certain you have properly selected either your phone number, Apple ID or other email address for iMessaging. 

Second - be sure that Cellular Data is turned ON.  Otherwise, all data is restricted unless you're connected to Wi-Fi.  This includes texts - SMS, MMS and iMessage.

Third - and this part is very important (and don't ask me why, but it works this way)..

* Open your Text Messages

* Check to see if the 'Undelivered' notification is present on ANY text/iMessage stored in your phone - it's a red exclamation point inside a circle.  If it's there, hold your finger on it until the screen gives you the option to 'Try Again' or 'Delete'.  DELETE all messages to all Contacts with these notification symbols.  Then try sending another text or iMessage.  For some reason, if there's ONE undelivered text / iMessage, the iPhone refuses to send/receive as it should.

The last thing I'd suggest is that you check your available storage on your device.  Apple devices are designed to allow a certain amount of space to each operating sector, as a safety feature for the hard drive.  If the specified 'allotment' for messaging is at or near it's maximum capacity, text/iMessaging may not function correctly.  It's a good idea to clean up old data on a regular basis - email, texts, phone logs, and most importantly, internet history (under Settings, select Safari, then scroll down to 'Clear History & Website Data', or maybe 'Clear Cookies & Cache').  This should not only improve the functionality of your device, but help to improve battery life as well.   

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RBeutel,

That's really inconvenient and we're sorry your iMessages aren't working correctly. We'll definitely help get them up and running. Thank you for sharing what trouble shooting you've already done. It's really helpful! When you send a text to your husband are the bubbles blue or green? When you say you reset the phone please share the steps you took to do that.

Were there any changes to your phone or the account a couple days ago that could have coincited with the messaging not working any more?

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
SeriouslyLainey
Contributor - Level 1

If your communications issues are limited strictly to Apple devices, ensure that they have iMessage turned ON in Settings-Messages-iMessage.  Be sure that the 'Send & Receive' option includes your current phone number for iMessage - IF that's the desired method of contact -  if they're using their AppleID for iMessaging and you're texting/iMessaging to a phone number (or vice versa), then messages won't be received because of the device settings.  You may want to check your own device as well - to be certain you have properly selected either your phone number, Apple ID or other email address for iMessaging. 

Second - be sure that Cellular Data is turned ON.  Otherwise, all data is restricted unless you're connected to Wi-Fi.  This includes texts - SMS, MMS and iMessage.

Third - and this part is very important (and don't ask me why, but it works this way)..

* Open your Text Messages

* Check to see if the 'Undelivered' notification is present on ANY text/iMessage stored in your phone - it's a red exclamation point inside a circle.  If it's there, hold your finger on it until the screen gives you the option to 'Try Again' or 'Delete'.  DELETE all messages to all Contacts with these notification symbols.  Then try sending another text or iMessage.  For some reason, if there's ONE undelivered text / iMessage, the iPhone refuses to send/receive as it should.

The last thing I'd suggest is that you check your available storage on your device.  Apple devices are designed to allow a certain amount of space to each operating sector, as a safety feature for the hard drive.  If the specified 'allotment' for messaging is at or near it's maximum capacity, text/iMessaging may not function correctly.  It's a good idea to clean up old data on a regular basis - email, texts, phone logs, and most importantly, internet history (under Settings, select Safari, then scroll down to 'Clear History & Website Data', or maybe 'Clear Cookies & Cache').  This should not only improve the functionality of your device, but help to improve battery life as well.   

I hope this helps.

0 Likes