Charged Data while on Wifi! Shady billing.
JohnR2006
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been a Verizon customer for well over a decade. I currently have an Iphone 5S. Over the last few months I noticed massive spikes in my data. Of course it HAD to be my fault according to the techs, no research on their part, but I do watch videos frequently so I bought in. I upgraded my planto allow for what my usage was and then BAM! I was over significantly again! No change in my usage patterns. So I recently called and said how I would NEVER want this to happen again so I went with the 20 Gig plan PLUS 2 bonus gigs. So that's 22 Gigs of data. I just got hit with ANOTHER large overage. Seems whenever I upgrade my plan, Verizon just upgrades my usage. I checked my data usage spreadsheet and I see tons of charges at times when I know I am on wifi. Basically when I am in my own home or when I am at work. The only times I am off wifi is in the car and on lunch. Honestly this is so shady and I refuse to increase my plan again. I am about to just switch to another carrier where I can get unlimited data. I am so tired of this Verizon nonsense. Anybody else having data charged while on wifi?

Labels (1)
Re: Charged Data while on Wifi! Shady billing.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to use the data when and where you need it is extremely important, JohnR2006. We would like to learn more about the issue at hand and also advise of a few tips to help. One way to ensure that no data is used when you are connected to WiFi is turning off the cellular data on your device. This will be a surefire way to stop incurring any data usage. http://vz.to/1E8MMCR Another recommendation is to disconnect from your WiFi and then  re-enter your WiFi passwords to ensure you have the best possible connection. Here is also a tool that will show you how the data is being used: http://vz.to/1gjp7dj We never want to lose a valued customer and are always here to help, before you make any decisions please allow us the opportunity to assist: http://vz.to/1MWa2ew

ChrisM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JohnR2006
Enthusiast - Level 2

Turning off my data when I am sleeping is ridiculous. My home wifi alone is extremely reliable let alone my work one. (Major international engineering firm headquarters.) I had an old unlimited data plan and should have kept it. I will be calling in to resolve this because 0.75 gig random charges at 2:15AM and all hours of the wee morning is unacceptable.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

iPhones will disconnect from WiFi when idle for x amount of time. 

bbumbleb
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having this same problem! No change in my usage patterns and yet I am getting overages on a 30gb plan. Something is definitely shady!!

JohnR2006
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup! I don't think they bother. I honestly do not feel Verizon cares at all about its customers. At least in the sense that they will acknowledge any wrongdoing on their part. Wasn't there a lawsuit against Verizon for them putting in fraudulent charges in people's bills?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

That was cramming and it was resolved but had nothing to do with data charges.

0 Likes
JohnR2006
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Snn5! The point is that it was deceptive, but we are all informed now.