Costing $$
Bobbieann19
Enthusiast - Level 2

I pay per text on my iPhone 6 cause I don't text!  Is there a way to not receive every response to senders message?  I tried turning off cellular data in settings but when turned back on next day, messages from day before came through...responses to original message from others.  Original message was important so wouldn't want to miss that...just don't need all the responses.  Any solution with this seldom used texting situation?  Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Costing $$
Loquat
Master - Level 1

The best suggestion I have would be to sign up or a service like Google Voice where you can get your very own number and have people text that number.  There you could sign in to their website as you wish and read and/or reply to text messsages you receive.  You can sign in from your iPhone when on WiFi and check, or check when you're at home.  There you will have unlimited texting...but I don't think it supports MMS so probably to pictures etc.  Don't download the app to your phone because sending and receiving that way would burn your data unless you're on WiFi. That's the best suggestion I have for someone in your situation. 

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Bobbieann19
Lets get this addressed. try turning off the receipt. Settings> Messages> Send read receipt. Uncheck this and retest please.

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Bobbieann19
Enthusiast - Level 2

send read receipts was already off but I moved it on and then off again and restarted my phone. The only thing “on” on that page is iMessage and MMS Messaging. I won’t know if it worked until someone texts me again. Thanks for the instructions...hope it works! btw....the messages I received were not read receipts. Apparently, sender sent to several persons (cc/bcc) and each of them responded to her and they all showed up on my screen, too.

Bobbie

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

I don't know if there is a way for you to send text but not be able to receive them...let alone only receiving selected message.  Good luck with that...not sure if a service of such exist. 

rcschnoor
Legend

I agree. You can either enable texting or disable texting. You can't pick and choose which texts you want to receive. If the amount of texts you receive makes you pay an amount equal to or greater than the minimum texting plan, you may be better off signing up for one. Otherwise, you can block all texting from your phone, in which case you won't get ANY texts but you also won't be charged for any texts.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I am not aware of a selective texting feature to turn off receive and turn on send, or vice versa, or a way to receive from only certain individuals.  I'm not sure if Verizon's blocking feature would work for texting as the newer versions of Android don't allow text blocking on the stock app.  SO...I'm not sure if Verizon's (My Verizon page) features page would work for iPhone.  Turning data off will not keep the texts from coming in, but will stop the MMS as they require data to download.  I hope you find a way.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

The best suggestion I have would be to sign up or a service like Google Voice where you can get your very own number and have people text that number.  There you could sign in to their website as you wish and read and/or reply to text messsages you receive.  You can sign in from your iPhone when on WiFi and check, or check when you're at home.  There you will have unlimited texting...but I don't think it supports MMS so probably to pictures etc.  Don't download the app to your phone because sending and receiving that way would burn your data unless you're on WiFi. That's the best suggestion I have for someone in your situation. 

rcschnoor
Legend

The only downside to this would be if the texts automatically get forwarded to your phone. If they do, it would defeat the purpose.

I believe you have to have a Google Voice number associated with an active line of phone service(cellular I believe, but it may also include land lines). Whether or not all texts to your Google Voice number will be automatically forwarded to your active line of service, I don't know.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Google Voice must be associated with an active number.  It does send over data, but uses WiFI when available. 

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

You are correct...you do have to have an active line but you don't have to use forwarding.  I have a GV account that I use now and I don't use the text forwarding option. 

0 Likes