DATA DILEMMA
kharly5885

I use my iPad Air and my iPhone 6 to access the Internet, and they are the ONLY devices used with my Verizon Jetpack hotspot. An issue arose the day after the billing cycle renewed, with an alert being sent to me indicating I had used 75% of my data(over 9 gigabytes) on the very FIRST day of my billing cycle! I was shocked and called Verizon, but they could not provide me with a reasonable explanation. I bumped from 12 gigabytes to 20 to ensure I would not incur any overage fees for this month. I had not incurred any significant usage of wifi... NO streaming or video watching @ all, AND have had wifi turned OFF on both devices since 12:06 a.m. on October 13th. I am now monitoring and documenting my wifi usage, continuing with wifi OFF. With wifi off, I have incurred .627 gigabytes of wifi data usage! How is this possible? I realize it seems like a nominal amount of data, but cumulatively it is going to be significant by the end of my billing cycle... ESPECIALLY, since this is only the third day of the new billing cycle. Has anyone else experienced this alarming phenomenon?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: DATA DILEMMA
Weth
Legend

I Would not call .627 GB nominal.  That could have been use 6 hours prior to 12:06. so keep that in mind. 

Take the iPhone out of the picture by turning off wifi and letting it use its own cellular data. 

I Wish Verizon gave us access to ip logs to help sort these things out. 

0 Likes
kharly5885

Weth, thank you for your response. When I talked with a Verizon representative today, she had said that the data usage seemed to be a nominal amount to her, even though I attempted to impress upon her that CUMULATIVELY, if this continues it will soon not be. I typically have my iPhone only set to cellular usage. Even though both of my devices have had wifi turned off for almost 37 hours, it continues to register usage in small increments every few hours : (. I was just wondering whether anyone else has attempted to monitor and/or document their data usage? And whether anyone has experienced an unexplained and unusual jump in data usage?

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

wifi turned off or cell data? turning off cell data stops the usage

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kharly5885, we want to make sure that you are able to manage your usage whenever you can. Let's work together to find out what is going on. You can see how much data each device is using on My Verizon in the view usage section. What verison is the devices on? When did this start?
ZangY_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kharly5885

I have done what you advised, but I am even MORE puzzled because the usage for my phone has only utilized .715 gigabytes of data usage... my Jetpack has used 9.154 gigabytes of data and nothing is listed for my iPad. Are you saying my Jetpack which allows me wifi service is eating through my data usage even though my phone AND iPad's wifi is turned OFF?!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Your iPad won't show any data usage since it is all wifi to the iPad.  The data usage of the iPad wild show up on the jetpack.  Did you connect any computers?   Since you turned wifi off on the iPhone and iPad, what is the jetpack usage showing.  A few megabytes every few hours is normal but not 100s of gigabytes. 

0 Likes
kharly5885

So far, I have noted that three folks have had an unexplainable "data munching surge" in the last few days. An occurrence for each of us that has never happened before... for which Verizon has only told those of us affected, that all they know is that we have used the data. Like one of the other people affected, I was SLEEPING when this alleged data usage occurred! I have NEVER used that much data in even half a billing cycle. I received the same 75% usage warning on the very FIRST day of my new billing cycle. I had 12 gigabytes of data, but bumped to 20 when I received the alert so as to not incur overage charges. The wifi assist has been turned off since first learning about the problems it has created for some folks... so that could not explain it. Nor could any computer usage, as I do not use one. I do not have cellular data... ONLY my Jetpack hotspot for wifi, which has been turned off since 12:06 a.m. on October 13th for BOTH my iPad and iPhone. Both are updated to the latest Apple operating system of 9.0.2, so THAT could not be the issue. Yet, data usage is STILL being accrued for both devices. This alone is alarming because gigabyte every two or three days, with wifi turned off, I am going to eat through my remaining little over 9 gigabytes with no benefit of having utilized wifi! NOTHING REMOTELY like this has EVER occurred before, so something is DREADFULLY WRONG. I switched from Clear's hotspot back in June which worked splendidly for the two plus years I had it. I only switched because they are discontinuing that service. I miss it now more than I can possibly convey.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Your situation is odd and concerning.  I do think this usage report is atypical and may represent a problem with the device or Verizon.  It is always possible something is on your end, of course. Unlike some other threads, your is more concerning for something else going on.  My responses to you have not been absolute that you are using the data, but just to check possibilities.

My response on other threads is much different.  For example the iPhone using 750 megabytes of Hulu data is almost certainly a real, albeit accidental, use.  It is a much different scenario than your situation.  I support you pushing forward, but it will be an uphill battle.  I would try to get a different device with new SIM card. 

0 Likes