Data Usage Spike
jh1975
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is anyone experiencing data usage spikes?  My data usage has never exceeded 2GB/month and on 4 seperate occasions in the last 2 months,  my phone (according to Verizon) has had 4 seperate data spikes where 1.75GB + was used in one day.   According to Verizon tech, it is an iphone problem.  According to Apple,  it is a Verizon problem.   I am inclined to believe the latter.  This would not be a first for Verizon.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Of note: 

-Wifi Assist is off; I close out (double tap) apps after use; automatic updates are off; background app refresh is off; auto video play is off; software updates/app downloads are only done while plugged in and on wifi; nothing is in the mail outbox. 

Re: Data Usage Spike
JCTJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the exact same problem (or did - the problem mysteriously went away, but not after I had done something). I tried everything including meticulously turning off anything that could allow for overnight downloads. The phone was in WiFi 100% range during the night and the reported usage shows up as having happened around 2 AM. @mama23dogs has in a different post suggested that this is not when the actual usage happened, but rather there was a cumulation of usage that was only 'reported' to Verizon's system at 2 AM. Under this theory, the 2GB+ of data usage happened some time during the day and only was sent to Verizon for billing at 2 in the morning. No one from Verizon has mentioned this, nor confirmed it.

0 Likes
Re: Data Usage Spike
mama23dogs
Legend

@JCTJ wrote:

I have the exact same problem (or did - the problem mysteriously went away, but not after I had done something). I tried everything including meticulously turning off anything that could allow for overnight downloads. The phone was in WiFi 100% range during the night and the reported usage shows up as having happened around 2 AM. @mama23dogs has in a different post suggested that this is not when the actual usage happened, but rather there was a cumulation of usage that was only 'reported' to Verizon's system at 2 AM. Under this theory, the 2GB+ of data usage happened some time during the day and only was sent to Verizon for billing at 2 in the morning. No one from Verizon has mentioned this, nor confirmed it.

The delay in reporting can be up to 3 days, but typically not that long.   If you are tracking the use on the phone, it should add up the same as the usage reports kept by the carrier.  If the phone and carrier count agrees, then you cannot dispute that you used the data.  

This doesn’t mean your phone is working correctly.  Faulty apps or defective phones can cause high usage.  It’s very rare that it’s a carrier error.  But if you are keeping track, and the 2 records are far apart, then you have proof you can take to the carrier.  

As for the employees, I have only spoken to people in tech support who have a clue.  Regular reps often have no idea how data is counted unless they are reading off the cue cards (that’s not knowledge)

0 Likes