Data usage on wifi
Bombsfadeaway

I just got a notice that I've used 75% of my data, and my cycle just reset on the 9th! I checked the usage and it says Hulu has been using it all, but I have always been on wifi when watching it- so why is my data being used? I work from home and very rarely go out, and have never had this issue before. Needless to say I'm very disappointed.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data usage on wifi
Weth
Legend

Have you recently upgraded to iOS 9.0.x?

There is a new setting that will automatically switch to cellular data if the wifi signal is marginal or the speed is marginal in anyway. You can turn this off by:

Click on Settings

Click on Cellular

Scroll all the way to the bottom and turn off WiFi Assist. Notice it says "Automatically use cellular data when wifi connection is poor"

This has caused several people to unintentionally use lots of data since the iOS update.

It is also possible the router is disconnecting. It is always a good idea to periodically reboot the router and also make sure you have the latest firmware for the router.

0 Likes
Bombsfadeaway

I did update, but turned off the wifi assist after hearing other users had problems with it (and it gobbled up the last of my data towards the end of my last cycle). I thought turning it off would have fixed the problem, which is why I was so surprised to get the notice tonight when I have left the house a total of twice since the 9th. It seems that Verizon is using my data even when I'm connected to wifi, which is unfortunate. For the short term I'll be turning off all data manually while at places with wifi, but in the long term we'll see if I continue my cellular service with Verizon because it's kind of ridiculous.

Thanks for your suggestion- if I hadn't already turned off the wifi assist I'd believe that was the culprit. But having turned it off a few weeks ago it doesn't seem likely.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Reboot your router. I've fixed several issues that way with disconnects. Just resets and opens up memory. I've had cases with everything connects ok, except one device. Reboot and all fixed. Problem usually comes back but months later. Because of this, I reboot once a month the cable modem and the router.

It may not be Verizon, so take all the variables out of the equation you can.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

One last thing, and this has happened in our family. If you ever use the hotspot, it will not connect to wifi until you turn it off. I had my daughter have my wife turn on her hotspot for her ipad in the car. She never turned off the hotspot when she got home and my daughter kept using cellular data the rest of the night in the house.

0 Likes
Bombsfadeaway

I don't think it's the router- my boyfriend and roommate both have computers that only use the wifi, plus our blu-ray player streams using the wifi, and neither of them have had any issues with connection while using them at the same time as I use my phone to watch Hulu.

I also never use the hotspot because of how much of a data hog it is (and because I'm always on wifi, it's never necessary).

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Even if either devices are working still reboot the router. There can be a problem with the single device with everything else working and it still is a router problem. The router memory tables run out and cause problems with individual devices while others continue to work fine. It's a easy thing to do and it's part of the evaluation process so just do it

0 Likes
Bombsfadeaway

Our power has gone out at the house at least three times in the last week due to storms, so I assure you that the router is not the issue. It restarts every time the power so much as flickers. And like I said, I've never had this issue before. I've had this phone for a few months now and watched Hulu, YouTube, Netflix, etc nearly every night. I've been browsing the boards and have seen other people with similar issues as well, so I think it's more of a Verizon problem and not just my router. I've never used 75% of my monthly data before- I'd love to hear what Verizon support has to say about it. I'm just thankful I didn't end up like several other users I've seen who didn't get the usage notice and ended up going over.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

on your phone go to settings/cellular and look Hulu app, how much cellular data does it say it used For Hulu?

I've investigated several friends and relatives with similar concerns.  Each time it was the device actually using the data.   Dead wifi spots, temporary interference, router in process of breaking, hotspot, I've seen many. Once data starts with one connection, it stays with that connection until a break.  People always think it is Verizon, even when I show them it's not they have a hard time.  Oh well. 

Verizon  will say you used the data.  We'll see if they come up with anything else.  I am fairly confident you will see your phone actually used the data having looked at these before. 

You you do not say how much 75% is, but Hulu will use up about 4 GB per hour. 

0 Likes
Bombsfadeaway

That's what I said in the beginning, is that it says Hulu used a ton of data. I turned off all data, so we'll see how the connection is for the rest of my pay period. Whether it's the phone or Verizon, there really should be some kind of notice that says "hey, we ran into a hiccup with your wifi, we're switching to data. Is that okay?"

I have 1GB of data per month and am not a heavy data user. So if it is what you say that magically my phone has been switching to data despite saying that it's connected to my wireless signal, there's a bigger issue here. Oh well.

0 Likes