Data usage
JEFJOS96

We have 2 Gigs of data on our plan. We keep going over. WI FI is connected at all times. I thought data is NOT used while connected to the wi-fi.

Is this true? How do we minimize our usage?

Jeanne J

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data usage
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even though the phone isn't actively being used for tasks that consume data, various apps that can consume data are running in the background, and, when you are not on WiFi, those apps switch over to 4G/LTE.

As suggested, check your phone's breakdown of data usage and either disable, or, force those apps onto WiFi.

[Removed]

off topic content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You can turn off cellular data when you are on wifi.

You can look at the phone and see which apps are using cellular data and adjust activity, turn off cellular data for that app, or delete the app.

You can get more data

You do not say how many is "we", but with even 2 phones, 2 GB is very easy to go over.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

JEFJOS96 wrote:

WI FI is connected at all times.

Your phones don't leave the house?

0 Likes
JEFJOS96

I only make calls when the phone is with me away from home. There is always wifi on. I connect

to hotspots.

Jeanne [Removed]

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil 4: 6-7

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

When you leave the house, you cannot be connected to wifi at all times. Check the phone and see what is using the data when you are not on wifi.  Apps and data can be used in The background when not actively using the phone.

JEFJOS96

I don't use it until I'm on wifi. The apps on there are the ones that came on the phone. Nothing

more. ?.?

Jeanne [Removed]

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil 4: 6-7

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Just check the phone and see what app is causing problem and disable it. 

0 Likes
JEFJOS96

I dot know how to determine which app is causing it. How would I know?

Jeanne [Removed]

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even though the phone isn't actively being used for tasks that consume data, various apps that can consume data are running in the background, and, when you are not on WiFi, those apps switch over to 4G/LTE.

As suggested, check your phone's breakdown of data usage and either disable, or, force those apps onto WiFi.

[Removed]

off topic content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes