Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Forced to use Verizon iPad
Lenglen

Having been led to believe that carriers were required by law to allow devices from other carriers to be used on their networks, and having read that all iPad Air units were built to accommodate every carrier's radio equipment, I purchased a used iPad Air version 1 at a good price after confirming it had a clean MEID and was iCloud unlocked. I then took it to a Verizon store where they installed a Verizon SIM card and activated it, telling me all was fine.

When I got my next bill I saw that the iPad was listed as a "non-Verizon device" and was being billed at $40/month as if it was a smart phone, instead of the promised $10/month promised for tablets.

I made several phone calls to agents, managers, and technical support on three separate occasions over two monthly billing cycles and was told they would try to fix it and they would get back to me. Not only didn't they ever fix it but they never once made any effort to contact me with the status of their efforts. 

My last phone call involved a conversation with a customer service rep and a technical support rep. The conclusion they reached was that because the unit was not a Verizon device their computers could not properly identify it and could not properly bill it as a tablet. I found it interesting that they had no trouble billing me an extra $30/month for that unrecognizable unit as a smart phone however and that the iPad was fully operational on Verizon's network.

So your choice is to either pay Verizon for THEIR iPad if you want the $10 monthly rate or fork over $40/month if you use the exact same iPad that happens to have been originally sold by another carrier. 

I think something improper is happening. Am I missing something?

Labels (1)
Re: Forced to use Verizon iPad
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
We can understand your concern with the device charge. This actually does not sound like our policy for tablets. There is a form that we can try to fill out called a DMD form to see if we can get the system to recognize the device. Has that option been tried by our technical support team?  SheritaH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Re: Forced to use Verizon iPad
mama23dogs

The SIM card was not provisioned correctly for a tablet.  It can't be fixed over the phone.  Take the ipad in to the Verizon store and have them replace it.  Since the local Verizon store made the error, be careful in getting help there again, if at all.  Sounds like you got the "Newb".  

This was incompetent clerk, not Verizon policy.