Giving wife my iPhone 6 after upgrade what do I need to do?
tasheley

I ordered an iPhone 6s and will be giving my wife my iPhone 6 once it arrives.  She currently has an iPhone 5.  Will I need to get a new SIM card for the 6 prior to activating it on her line or do I just need to wait 24 hours for the SIM that is in it to reset?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Giving wife my iPhone 6 after upgrade what do I need to do?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

She would just take the SIM card out of her iPhone 5 and put it in the iPhone 6. The iPhone 5 and up use Nano SIM cards.

You would do the same. Remove the SIM card from the iPhone 6 and put it in the iPhone 6S.

0 Likes
tasheley

Thanks for the info.  So I would want to do this...

1. Take the SIM out of my 6 and put it in the new 6S.  Turn it on.  Does this do all of the activation then of the new phone?

2. Take the SIM out of the 5 and put it in the 6

3. Take the original new SIM from the 6S and put it in the 5.  I want to activate the 5 again for my daughter as a new line and the SIM from the 6S should be a new blank SIM.

If I do the 1st step does that mess anything up because the 6S is an upgrade to the 6?  I usually just activate it with the new SIM card that is in it that is why all the questions. 

Thanks again.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

1. Yes - your service is linked to the SIM card not the phone (this didn't use to be the case with older phones that didn't use SIM cards)

2. Yes - again your wifes phone number is linked to her SIM card so putting in the 6 will move everything over accordingly.

3. If you are adding a line then you'd need to go into a Verizon store and have the account owner start a new line. Verizon will put the information on that blank SIM card and then you'd put it in the iPhone 5, so bring both the iPhone 5 and the SIM card (if you forget the SIM card they will just give you a new one, but make sure to go to a corporate store and not a 3rd party retailer.) I would refrain from putting the blank card in until you've added that line.

Nothing should get messed up.

0 Likes