Hotspot keeps dropping connection to devices
jnorwood32

First off I want to say that this happened with my iphone 7+ and continues with my XS Max. So I have the old grandfathered unlimited data plan. If I have the hotspot switched on on my phone, I do not see it with my computer immediately. What I have to do is "click down" the available hotspots on my computer so that all i see is the hotspot icon and not the available connections. Then I have to cycle the hotspot on the phone off then on again. MOST of the time when I select the hotspot icon on the computer now to show the available connections, my hotspot will connect at that point if I connect it manually. But if my computer goes to sleep, I have to do the whole step over. This applies to both of my computers, a Windows 10 and my Macbook Pro. I essentially have to recycle everything in order to get a connection. And it's weird in that I can have my available connections up so that I can see all the signals around me, cycle the hotspot off and on and I will never see it. So just dropping the menu out of site then cycling the hotspot solves it. Its very annoying. I should be able to wake my computer up and it should automatically connect or at the very least "see" my hotspot but does not. I spoke with a verizon cs agent once about it and they said they were aware of the situation I was having and there needed to be some kind of reboot of some system on verizon's end. She performed it and it worked for about a day then I was back to the same scenario. It's very frustrating. The phone is less than 10 away from my computer so I don't see any signal interruptions being a problem. Also, I didn't have the problem when I had cable modem in the house. When I opened up my computer, I had internet. On both computers and my iPad. The iPad is hit and miss. Sometimes when I wake it, the connection establishes automatically and right away. Other times I have to go into settings. The available connection is there (I don't have to cycle the hotspot) but I have to manually make the connection. So perhaps you know what is going on here?

0 Likes
Re: Hotspot keeps dropping connection to devices
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The Mobile Hotspot feature really does come in handy for many things, jnorwood32. Thank you for the very detailed explanation of the issue. This really will help us get to the bottom of this issue. How many devices do you normally have connected to your device? What happens if you disconnect all other tethered connections, and only keep the devices that are having issues connected? Do they stay connected or does the issue still occur?

MarshallP_VZW

0 Likes
JW1414

Mine is doing the same thing today. My hotspot used to work flawlessly. Not it continues to drop constantly. Many times my two computers dont even see my hotspot when it's turned on until I recycle the hotspot off and on. What's happening here?

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes