How Do I unlock my iphone 5s?
ena05

My phone was stolen about a week ago, and a friend gave me her old Verizon iPhone 5s. I am with a different carrier, who told me I would need Verizon to unlock the phone before I can switch to my carrier to activate it. How do I go about unlocking this phone so I can use it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How Do I unlock my iphone 5s?
Weth
Legend

The Verizon iPhone 5S is already unlocked from the start. What carrier are you on?

If it is a Verizon 5S, it is unlocked and can be used on T-mobile and AT&T by just placing a valid SIM in the phone. It cannot be used in anyway with Sprint. If it is an MVNO, then it depends on what network they use to provide service. If you give the name, we can tell you what options are.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Most likely you cannot use a Verizon phone on another carrier due to differences in the radio frequencies/bands that each uses.  There may be a similar band or 2, but the functionality will be quite diminished. And, some carriers won't activate another carriers phone at all because of that.  ATT/T-Mobile GSM networks and Sprint/Verizon CDMA networks.  Even Sprint and Verizon phones don't interchange.  And I thought that the 5S came pre-unlocked.  Nonetheless, your friend will have to call Verizon to unlock it, if it really is locked.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Your friend that had the Verizon account would need to have the phone unlocked if it isn't already. You're still not guaranteed it will work on a different US carrier though. But have your friend request Verizon do a sim unlock (this is usually for use of sims when traveling abroad and what VZW intends it to be used as) and see if it works for you.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The Verizon iPhone 5S is already unlocked from the start. What carrier are you on?

If it is a Verizon 5S, it is unlocked and can be used on T-mobile and AT&T by just placing a valid SIM in the phone. It cannot be used in anyway with Sprint. If it is an MVNO, then it depends on what network they use to provide service. If you give the name, we can tell you what options are.

0 Likes