How do I file a complaint against Verizon with the FCC?
loydeyates

Told a Customer Service Agent that when I turned off cellular on my iPhone I had used 6.2 GBs according to MyVerizon Page (which I had accessed using a separate connection). Twelve days later I again looked at the page to check the usage (because I had long suspected Verizon of adding data usage). Anyway, the Page said I had now used 9.3 GBs, and increase of 3 GBs, despite that cellular access was turned off!  After awhile, the Agent said she would transfer me to a "second tier" technical support. I held for 30 minutes, when "Michael 7110" came on the line, he had no idea why I had been transferred, so I had to start over with my explanation. After inventing several scenarios on how my phone could use the data despite being turned off, none of which were valid, he determined a new solutions – on the day it was turned off, I had in fact used 9.3 data, and not 6.1, and I was simply mistaken. I repeatedly said I was positive that the page said 6.1. Still, he said, I was mistaken, and continued to offer all sorts of ways to cut down my usage. Despite 1 1/2 hours of effort, I had gotten nowhere. Since it was "impossible" for there to be anyway that the usage was not done by my phone, I finally accepted defeat.

After I hung up, I went back to the Page, and since I started talking with them my usage had gone from 9.3 GB to 10.3 GB, and was still turned off! Now, I was once again positive that I had not used any amount since 12 days earlier, so I called back. I listened to the same recording over and over, for one hour and 11 minutes, when finally it stated due to technical issues nobody would be able to respond and to please call back at a later time!

With no other outlet available I decided to download all the stats on my data use for that billing cycle. It took quite awhile, but at the end, the usage was 6.26069 GBs, just a more exact number of the usage that I had told them when I turned it off and not the 9.3 he said on that date. Now, he told me he had calculated himself and was positive that when I turned it off, I had already used the full 9.3 GBs and it had not gone up mysteriously on its own during the 12 days it was off. What it tells me, he had simply made up the "fact" to avoid admitting that something else had gone wrong.

This was not the first time. A few months earlier I was overcharged $70. It took 3 months, and numerous phone calls, to get it refunded, despite each time them admitting it was a their mistake, but making me start from the beginning each time I called! This seems to be the culture at Verizon, and it is time for it to stop. Maybe the FCC will help, so my question remains. Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I file a complaint against Verizon with the FCC?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Of course! My theory is that some data may still be in the process of reporting and again, extended coverage will take longer to be reported. By the end of this billing cycle it might show up randomly on one of the days, I do suggest that since you only have a couple pages worth of data to add, just to do it one last time, but I'm pretty certain it will show up.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Did you look at your data immediately after you shut off your cellular data on the phone? Or did you wait 24+ hours? Data usage isn't reported instantly, which I'm sure they told you. I don't know what the maximum number of hours it takes, but if you're using another carriers towers I would give it at least 24 hours to be reported.

What does your timeline look like? How many days in was the extra 3GB reported? Was it all in one lump or small bits of data here and there during the 12 days?

0 Likes
loydeyates

On the day I shut off cellular, June 14th, it was 6.2. Twelve days later, June 26th, it was 9.3. (Billing period is between June 7th and July 6th.) Yesterday, the employee told me he added it up and the usage was 9.3 by June 14, the day I turned it off, and not 6.2 has I stated. After hanging up yesterday, I calculated the entire period from June 7th, and the total usage was only 6.26069 GB, which matches the figure I was given on June 14th. It was not the 9.3 showing yesterday, nor was it the amount he said it was by June 14th, the day I turned it off. Again, to make matters worse, the figure on the Page went up to 10.3, during the hour I was on the phone, but the cellular was still off at that point and had been off since June 14th. The numbers are all there, and they simply do not add up to 9.3 or 10.3.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I'm more interested in the timestamps of everything.

June 14th you shut off cellular usage and immediately went and looked at your data usage showing the 6.2Gb, correct?

Did you go back 24+ hours later and look at it again?

Between June 14th and June 26th, when was the other data used? What day?

0 Likes
loydeyates

Q. "June 14th you shut off cellular usage and immediately went and looked at your data usage showing the 6.2Gb, correct?"

A. Yes, may not have been immediately, but sometime that same day. I had remembered it to be 6.1 or 6.2.

Q. "Did you go back 24+ hours later and look at it again?"

A. No, I waited 12 days (June 26th) to check it. It stated 9.3

Q. "Between June 14th and June 26th, when was the other data used? What day?"

A. Yes, although it was off, the records shows it was used briefly on the June 21st (0.01047 gb) and on June 19th (0.01946 gb). I cannot explain those two times. Still, even including those, total usage is only 6.26069 gb, for the period between June 7th and June 26th.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Okay, so here is what I think happened.

June 14th you turned off data at some point, the data you did use before turning it off was NOT reported when you went to look at it, which is why you saw 6GB at the time. It can take 24 hours to report your usage. You should have gone back and looked 24-48 hours later for the ACTUAL total used. The extra 3GB of data that you say you didn't use is most likely somewhere on June 14th or June 15th.

As for the small amounts of data used on June 19th and June 21st, that I can't explain unless at some point you've been on an extended network. Do you know if you have been?

Now, assuming I'm correct, which I think I am because otherwise you'd see 3GB of data used between June 15th and June 26th, which you admit you don't, lets talk about when you placed the call. It was at 9.3GB, you left cellular data off, made the call and didn't mess with it at all and then it was 10.3GB?

0 Likes
loydeyates

"The extra 3GB of data that you say you didn't use is most likely somewhere on June 14th or June 15th."

A. There is no data usage on the 15th, or after the 14th, except the 21st & 19th, as reported above. Total usage on the 14th itself was only 0.09176, no where near 3 gbs!

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Okay. So then your complaint is when you add up your data usage by hand/calculator you get a number that is 3GB lesser than what Verizon has showing after they added it up?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

How much data use did you have on June 13th?

0 Likes
loydeyates

"...lets talk about when you placed the call. It was at 9.3GB, you left cellular data off, made the call and didn't mess with it at all and then it was 10.3GB?"

A. Yes, cellular is still off and has been since June 14th. When I first called the Page said "9.3" After I hung up, and went to calculate the figures myself, it had gone up to 10.3. Checking it this morning, it is still 10.3, and no data showing used on the 26th!

0 Likes