How do I unlock my iPhone 6 for Mexico?
Wisegem

I'm in Mexico and just signed up for the 4.95 version of international calling, but nothing happened.  Do I have to unlock the phone?  If so, how?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I unlock my iPhone 6 for Mexico?
Weth
Legend

The iPhone 6 is already unlocked, so that is not the problem.

On the phone, in Settings/Cellular do you have raoming turned on for voice?

There are 2 long distance plans, you need to make sure you signed up for the right one. There is an International Long Distance Value plan, $5.00. However, this one is only for making long distance calls from the US to other countries at reduced rates. That is not the one you need.

Then there is the Value Voice global plan for $4.99. This is for calling when outside the United States. However, if this is the one you got, you are wasting money in Mexico since there is no reduction for calling form Mexico with the Value plan.

You should have the PAYGO Data & Standard Voice for $0.00 on your account for you to make calls. I suspect this is the thing that is missing. YOu add it online by selecting global services and then going to global roaming.

You do not need to pay anything monthly to get roaming in Mexico. If you are paying something, it is because it is the wrong plan or a plan you do not need.

You need to do this before you leave, as the VZW rep stated above.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wisegem,

You definitely need your phone working when you're so far from home and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. Your phone is already unlocked for international use. Are you not able to make/receive calls while in Mexico?

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Wisegem

As I believe I said in my initial post, I can't make calls.  That is precisely the problem.  How do I activate the phone.  I just bought the extra service two days ago and received a confirmation.

So what do I do?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for any misunderstanding on our previous post Wisegem! If you added international service while in Mexico, we are not able to activate that feature. We can only activate features while you are within out Verizon Wireless network. Please contact our Global Support team http://bit.ly/UAy184 as they may be able to assist while outside the United States.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The iPhone 6 is already unlocked, so that is not the problem.

On the phone, in Settings/Cellular do you have raoming turned on for voice?

There are 2 long distance plans, you need to make sure you signed up for the right one. There is an International Long Distance Value plan, $5.00. However, this one is only for making long distance calls from the US to other countries at reduced rates. That is not the one you need.

Then there is the Value Voice global plan for $4.99. This is for calling when outside the United States. However, if this is the one you got, you are wasting money in Mexico since there is no reduction for calling form Mexico with the Value plan.

You should have the PAYGO Data & Standard Voice for $0.00 on your account for you to make calls. I suspect this is the thing that is missing. YOu add it online by selecting global services and then going to global roaming.

You do not need to pay anything monthly to get roaming in Mexico. If you are paying something, it is because it is the wrong plan or a plan you do not need.

You need to do this before you leave, as the VZW rep stated above.

0 Likes