How to access SMS messages Internationally?
mlondon88
Enthusiast - Level 2

As with many other people, when traveling internationally, I need to be able to access SMS messages that are sent to my US phone number to access certain online accounts (ie: one-time codes, two-factor authorization codes, etc)

However, when I travel I remove my Verizon SIM and purchase a SIM for the country I will be in.

I do not need to use my Verizon SIM for Talk or Data, nor do I need to Send messages.

I only need to RECEIVE SMS messages.

Grateful for advice.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
Re: How to access SMS messages Internationally?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mlondon88, we definitely understand your concern. Being able to access your online accounts is essential. If you are going to use an international sim card, you will also be using a different number. If your online accounts are attached to your US number, then you will not be able to get any verification text. If you use our sim card while international, you will be billed pay as you go rates unless you have an international plan to cover you. The only way you can receive any text messages on the US number is if you have the US sim card installed. Does this clear up the details for you?

Dia_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mlondon88
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Dia,

I was told by Verizon on the phone that I could enable Integrated Messaging and access my incoming text messages over the internet (ie: without my Verizon SIM in my phone). I was able to receive some messages sent to my phone number, but not all. Should the Integrated Messaging be able to receive all text messages (not MMS, I understand) sent to my phone number even if my SIM card is not installed?

Also, what about the Messages+ app? Seems to me that if I install this app on my computer or phone, that even if I do not have my Verizon SIM installed, I will still be able to access my text messages, correct?

Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mlondon88, we truly understand your concern about integrated messaging. We certainly want to make sure you are able to get the text messages you need. Verizon Messages and integrated messages are Verizon features. You will not be able to access any of it if you are not on our network. This will require you to use our sim card. Not of this will work for you properly if you are using an international sim card. We truly apologize for any misinformation you have received. Does this provide clarity for you?

Dia_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Travelingalways

It turns out any verification code sent to the phone cannot be viewed on the Message+. This is extremely inconvenient when traveling overseas. Many apps I used started requesting verification when they detect that I am overseas and I have no way to access the codes. I thought I only lost free Global 3G when I left T-Mobile, but this is the last string. I am switching back to T-Mobile for this extreme inconvenience. 

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes