How to keep data useage down with an IPad on my account
GirlWithPurls

I am considering buying an iPAD vs. a Macbook Air laptop and want to know now to keep costs down since i'll have to add the Ipad to my Verizon account as a devices.  How do I keep the data useage down?  For example, if I am at home and have a wifi network at my house should I be using WIFI mode or not in order to keep my data useage down?  Or is there simply no way around this and I should just budget and plan for this as part of an increased monthly cost?

I barely use any with my iPhone but that's because it's so darn small and difficult to see that I'd rather use my laptop for emails and surfing the web - hence, the decision to invest in an IPad.

I appreciate any tips, tricks or advice.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to keep data useage down with an IPad on my account
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GirlWithPurls,  I'm excited to learn that you're considering adding this great device to your account! You've come to the right place for data management advice. Since you have Wifi available ab home, you will be able to connect your new device to the Wifi Network and save on your account data use. When connected, it will process data related activities using the Wifi connection. Keep in mind that you can also turn the Cellular Data off, completely, in Settings  to ensure that no mobile data is transferred. You'll still be able to connect to Wifi with this option turned off. I hope this is helpful information for you. Please let us know if you need anything further.

TanishaS1_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GirlWithPurls,  I'm excited to learn that you're considering adding this great device to your account! You've come to the right place for data management advice. Since you have Wifi available ab home, you will be able to connect your new device to the Wifi Network and save on your account data use. When connected, it will process data related activities using the Wifi connection. Keep in mind that you can also turn the Cellular Data off, completely, in Settings  to ensure that no mobile data is transferred. You'll still be able to connect to Wifi with this option turned off. I hope this is helpful information for you. Please let us know if you need anything further.

TanishaS1_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
GirlWithPurls

This is great information!  thank you so much for helping me with this and replying back so quickly!

0 Likes
Not applicable

ahh but the better option is going into Verizon Corporate store and getting a free nano sim.

After you insert it you can then use it as a pre paid device. No going over and no monthly charge to have it on the cellular account.

You save $120 over the year in fees.

I just buy the data amount I want and my credit card/debit card can be charged for the time I want to use it. If I don''t use it then no early termination fees for not having on the account.

Don't add it to the account.

Good Luck

0 Likes
GirlWithPurls

Okay - one last question on this matter before I hit "BUY" on an iPad.  So... there are two types - "Wifi" and "Wifi + Cellular" for the Ipad Air 2.  I am planning to only get the "Wifi" one and if I do that, do I even have to put it on my Verizon account?  Or can instead just use it whenever I'm near Wifi when travelling (already have WiFi at home) so my whole question about Data Useage would be a moot point?

Or is the recommendation that I would still need to put it on my Verizon Account and just turn off cellular data useage or follow the smart recommendation about the Nano Sim card?

Is there a reason to spend the extra money on the "Wifi + Cellular" option for an iPad?  To me, if I was out and about and in need to connect to the internet, I'd simply just use my iPhone  - right?

I so appreciate the advice and expertise!

0 Likes
holafromab_

I Bought my ipad with wifi and cellular in case I want to add a SIM card later and pay for it as well. Another option you might want to consider though is to tether your iPad to your iPhone if you need your iPad while not in a wifi zone. The tethering is very easy and while tethered, whatever you do on your iPad goes onto your iPhone plan.

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you don't need cellular and want just WiFi you save money on the iPad. Cellular is only needed if you want the iPad to use cellular data when WiFi is not available.

However if you're teathering it would still need to be done via either paying $30 a month for 2 GB on your cell phone line. However depending on your cell plan teathering may be free so that would be great. As the other poster stated that would work.

If you buy the WiFi and cellular model the iPad will cost you at least $100 more. So choose wisely.

Like I said I bought the iPad mini at an Apple store with WiFi and cellular it cost me around $600 but I just walked into AT&T and picked up a nano Sim popped it in the iPad and set up a 3 GB $30 a month of use plan. At the 2 GB on up the cell company charges you a set $30 recurring monthly fee. If you choose below that amount its a go into cellular settings and buying what you want when you want.

If you hit your data limit it shuts off (no overages) or you reach 30 days (it shuts off below that 2 GB limit unless you change the data amount)

Doing it as pay as you go will save the $10 a month fee to add it to your account.

Again don't add it to your account. And buy it directly from Apple. This way if it has an issue you bring it back to apple and not Verizon.

Good choosing

0 Likes