How to stop clicking and screeching sound on my iphone 6?
SueMKathman
Enthusiast - Level 2

About a month ago, my Iphone 6 that was working just fine began to make frequent clicking sounds and a loud, high pitched screeching sound during calls. It seemed to be related to the software upgrade to 9 and/or 9.1. It is hurtful to the ear and very annoying. Apple replaced the phone, re-set it once and technician has  guided me through other potential solutions to no avail. They suggested it was an issue with Verizon and recommended the SIM card be replaced, which was done. The problem persists and is getting worse. It does not matter who I call or if the case is on or off the phone. Apple support took it up to engineer level and they said it is a carrier issue. I have read many blogs on this - I am not the only person having this issue with Verizon and Iphone 6 combination.  I am at a loss as to what to do next. I am looking for others who have had this issue and how they resolved it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to stop clicking and screeching sound on my iphone 6?
SueMKathman
Enthusiast - Level 2

My update to this issue. Just turning the feature off on the phone as recommended by tech support and resetting the netwoek did not truly resolve the problem. Having Verizon turn off the default feature and resetting my netowrk and rebooting did resolve the issue as identifies above. I wanted to wait to be sure it did not return and so far, so good.  Thank you to all who helped. I strongly suggest Verizon and Apple share this solution with all of their customer service and tech support folks online and at their stores. This is a much more widespread  issue. It would save hours and hours of time visiting stores and on-line trying to get an answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@SueMKathman

I can only imagine how frustrating this has become for you!  I want to ensure we do everything we can to improve your wireless experience.

First, do you use a case or cover with your iPhone 6?  If so, please remove the case/cover and retest.  I would also like for you to change the following setting: Turn off Phone Noise Cancellation. Settings > General > Accessibility > Hearing > Phone Noise Cancellation > Off, and let me know if the issue continues.

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SueMKathman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have removed the case (Mophie) before with no improvement and changed the setting as you directed, also with no improvement. I read on another extensive blog that this has been identified as an issue with Verizon and iphone 6. Is this correct? And, if so, what is the resolution? Two items I read were for "Verizon to disable the advanced calling from account side" (how is this done?) and " Verizon needs to re-establish the network to address the connection issue" (how is this done?). I use this phone for business and the interference on the calls is disrupting my business.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SueMKathman, having a constant screeching noise would absolutely create a headache and we want to provide the pain relief. While this is not an issue specific to Verizon, I would like to have you go to the Settings,  Cellular, Enable LTE and select the Data only. Then try a call for me to see if with the Advanced Calling off, that noise is gone.

So we may have additional details, do you hear this noise when you attach a bluetooth or headjack as  well? Is it happening only at a specific location? Any details will truly assist.
LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SueMKathman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I cannot see how to call you. But, I just called one of my contacts and the clicking etc. is still occurring. I don’t have/use  a bluetooth or head jack. It happens at all times and all locations, whether I am calling another iphone, cell phone or land line. Sometimes both I and the person I have called hear the interference and at other times only one side hears it…all on the same call.  I bought the phone in July and had no problems until beginning in October. It seemed to be after I downloaded the software updates of 9 and 9.1, but I cannot confirm this. I have taken it to Appel service and they eventually gave me a new phone. But, we downloaded everything from the cloud. The problem was still present, so they cleaned everything off and reset the phone with no improvement. In fact, it was worse. Verizon changed the SIM card, with no change. Apple elevated to their engineers. They directed me to enable data only for LTE, with no change.  They said it is a carrier issue.

Suzanne

Personal information removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
EForce30
Enthusiast - Level 1

Chiming in - my company has multiple employees on various iOS devices (5s, 6, 6s, 6s Plus) nationwide experiencing this same issue.  Looking forward to hearing the solution from Verizon or root cause so we know where to troubleshoot.

Highly recommend an escalated enterprise ticket is raised based on this thread...

0 Likes
TractorBeem

This issue (screeches, pops, and beeps) is also a very big problem in our company as well. I am involved with a few teams working on this and have found a few things so far:

What devices tested:

iPhone 6+ iOS 9.1(13B143)

Networks tested:

Verizon with and without LTE deployed

·     When not on LTE and on CDMA only issue is audible
·     User does not experience any problems on his iPhone 5s via AT&T
·     User's LTE setting was “Data Only” when we hear pops and beep/squeal
·     User was not able to hear the disturbance on his line, only heard a pop at the time it occurred.
·    

User turned on LTE Voice and Data, immediate improvement over “Data Only” setting.

Need a solution ASAP as top management is now aware.

0 Likes
SueMKathman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am SO GRATEFUL to her others are having this same issue (although sorry for us all!), as I was feeling that I was hitting a dead end and cannot use my phone for business. I, too, highly recommend escalating this to the next level to attain a solution. 

0 Likes
jsczeb
Enthusiast - Level 3

Resolution that worked for me with same issue:

I to experienced this random clicking noise during calls with also a random squeal. All this is heard on my end and not the others line during calls. Attempts at Verizon to resolve were unsolved..... SIM card etc....... Discussed with Apple on line and even made 70 mile trip to Aplle store. Instead of Apple doing any diagnosis they just replaced the device. I chose this method with Apple because phone they gave me was New instead of a refurb from Verizon. Upon setting my new phone I chose to setup as new from scratch which is time consuming instead of from a iTunes or iCloud backup due to possible data corruption. After this was done and new phone was up and running I started experiencing the same issue. I immediately logged into My Verizon account and looked under my line of service ...... Tab to "manage products and apps"....look for free apps..... Once there look for Advanced calling( previously know as HD voice)..... See if this feature is turned on for your line.... In most cases it's set by default to be on. Turn this feature OFF for your'e line....... Save changes .... Log out of My Verizon......... Wait 15 mins for VZW system to update..... After 15 mins.... Reboot you're phone or reset network settings..... I actually did both..... Afterwards problem was solved..... Vzw should know how to do this but don't. Found this to work thru months of personal trouble shooting measures.   .  Good luck!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I really wish VZW reps were made aware that for those experiencing this issue it is usually related to Advanced Calling not working well in their area and advise users to turn the feature off. Luckily I have never had the issue but AC has been perfect everywhere I use my phone so far, but there are still areas where it's not working well.

0 Likes