I am traveling to Mexico and do not want to use my phone while in the country but do want to have it when I cross back over the border. Is there a way to turn off the phone service yet still have the wifi capabilities?
mattiemca

I am traveling to Mexico and do not want to use my phone while in that country and do no† want the roaming charges, but do want to be able to use it when I cross back over the border. I would also like to use the wifi capabilities while there. Is there a way to do this.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I am traveling to Mexico and do not want to use my phone while in the country but do want to have it when I cross back over the border. Is there a way to turn off the phone service yet still have the wifi capabilities?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.  Put the phone in airplane mode.  Then turn on wifi only.  Airplane mode will ensure that all radios are off, and by selectively enabling only wifi, that's all you will use.

Also, if the phone has a SIM card, you can remove it for the time you are in Mexico.  That will effectively cut off all cellular service, but the wifi will still work. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: I am traveling to Mexico and do not want to use my phone while in the country but do want to have it when I cross back over the border. Is there a way to turn off the phone service yet still have the wifi capabilities?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.  Put the phone in airplane mode.  Then turn on wifi only.  Airplane mode will ensure that all radios are off, and by selectively enabling only wifi, that's all you will use.

Also, if the phone has a SIM card, you can remove it for the time you are in Mexico.  That will effectively cut off all cellular service, but the wifi will still work. 

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Agree with above. Just to be safe, I would put it in Airplane mode before you get to the border or land. Your phone will sometimes grab the Mexico signal when you are close to the border, but still on the U.S. side.

0 Likes
mattiemca

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Mattie

0 Likes
mattiemca

Thanks much for the info. I am still a don’t understand all this technology stuff person.

Mattie

0 Likes