Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Insurance Coverage for IPhones?
oceanbreeze3615

Question to those of you who carry Assurion insurance coverage on your phones - I have 3 lines on my account:  an IPhone 5S, an IPhone 6 Plus, and a Samsung Galaxy S4.  The IPhone 6 Plus was dropped on concrete a few weeks ago and the screen cracked.  It still works fine, but the top left of the screen has several good sized cracks that are very obvious.  When I checked Assurion's website to determine my deductible so that I could get the screen repaired, I was surprised to see it was $200!  Because the IPhone 6 Plus is still less than a year old, I checked Apple's website, and found it would be $125 if I took it in to an Apple store.  I am paying $10 for each phone for "Total Coverage" each month.   This is probably my fault, as I just assumed that having full coverage meant that I could get the phone repaired when I needed to and I never thought to ask about deductible amounts.   I'm wondering if I could save myself $30 a month by dropping this feature, as it is definitely not as cost effective as I had thought.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks for any input.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Insurance Coverage for IPhones?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

First, I'm sorry to read that your iPhone is damaged oceanbreeze3615. I know how important it is to have a consistently working phone and to ensure that is the case, a damage free device is recommened. As a suctomer, I keep insurance on my phone. while there is a deductible, keep in mind that it also covers lost and/or stolen. So even though your device is operable, you may want to consider keeping the insurance just in case it gets lost. the retail value of an iPhone and or a Galaxy smartphone is upward of $600, depending on memory size. My vote is that you should keep insurance. If you have any questions about your insurance then feel free to reply to this message.

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Leader

Asurion charges you the $200 because they replace the whole phone. Apple charges less because they only replace the screen. I would say to keep the insurance because the Apple nor VZW can help you if your device is lost or stolen or liquid damaged. Also, after the first year the TEC provides and extended warranty from VZW. Get the screen replaced by Apple as this shouldn't void your warranty but keep your insurance.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

How many years have you been paying insurance and how many times have you actually used it?

The last time I had phone insurance was when it was some $4ish dollars a device and you only had to pay $10 shipping to get the refurbished phone sent out.

I don't have insurance now because other than the one time, 12 years ago, I've yet to have any issues that can't be fixed. One time my better half dropped her device in water, but we were able to upgrade. If she wasn't I would have found a decent used phone for $150-$200 and used it the remainder of the plan and then sold it and depending on a few factors, made back $100+ of what I spent on it. OR occasionally I save a device as a back-up plan and would probably go this route if I had kids.

0 Likes
Jcperki2

It would have been best if you would have just gotten the Apple Care protection. They don't sell in the stores, but you can go to your nearest apple store and get it within a certain amount of days of you purchase.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

I personally don't pay for the insurance. Take the $30 and put it in an account to self insure. If something happens once a year to one of your phones that is $360 toward fixing it or replacing it. If you go 2 years with no events, you get a whole phone paid for.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Leader

I don't mind paying for insurance but once my payoff on my DPP is less than the deductible I will have to heavily consider keeping the insurance and/or paying the deductible for a replacement. I don't have $500 just sitting around doing nothing.

0 Likes