Re: International Travel Preferred Pricing question
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

that sounds like quite an exciting trip. While in Europe if you want to be able to receive calls & texts, you want to have roaming turned on. To save on cellular roaming charges it is best to turn off cellular data and stick with wifi when available for your cellular data needs. You could then turn it back on as needed. Which international option did you end up choosing? http://spr.ly/6586BJDkA
BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Weth
Legend

If you turn off roaming, you will not get anything. You must have roaming on for data, calls, and texts to work since you will not be in Verizon's coverage area.

If you turn off cellular and you are on wifi, you will not get texts. You will get iMessages, but no calls and no regular texts. On wifi only you can do voice facetime or video facetime.

I just did a Europe trip and got the International plan. Here is what you should do. Make sure you add the plan to the first day of your billing period that you will be traveling so you get the full benefit of 100 texts, 100 minutes, and 100 MB. Before you get on the plane and turn on Airplane mode, go into Settings and Cellular and scroll down until you see Use Cellular Data for:. Now turn off all the options except the apps you absolutely want cellular data for - maps, find iphone, phone,  plus anything else you may want to use while sightseeing - I also had uber, tripadvisor, find my friends (so we could track each other when shopping) etc. We also activated Safari after initially having it turned off, since we did quick searches on things. Make sure everything else is in the off (not green) position. This will prevent apps from using data unintentionally.

On Settings/Cellular - Have Enable LTE Data only, and Roaming Voice and Data set. Have International CDMA turned off. When you get there, at the very bottom of the Settings/Cellular screen is Reset Statistics. Reset that so everything starts at zero and then you can monitor how many minutes and MB have been used so far.

With this, you will get phone calls, text messages, and be able to iMessage. Don't send or receive pictures on iMessage unless you are on wifi.

Enjoy.

MarkAZ999

Weth, thanks a bunch for the info & the tips. We're heading to England & Switzerland in a couple weeks and it's exactly what I needed to know.

0 Likes
brooke22

As

0 Likes
Drake94954

Weth,

Thanks for that info. I talked to 3 Global Service people over the phone and neither of them knew anything about which settings need to be changed. Absolutely terrible customer service. On my first call I knew more then the Verizon person about the plan.

As for settings, You recommend having "International CDMA" turned off, isn't that needed if traveling in Europe? Thanks, very confusing.

0 Likes