Is there a way to completely disable iMessage and use normal texting?
mattattack
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's crazy that I have unlimited texting and I can't use it.

I have an iphone 5s and if cellular isn't on then I can't receive or send picture messages! I don't leave cellular switched on if I'm at home with wifi, which really means I can't send/receive pictures while at home. It's ridiculous. I wish I could ditch iMessage completely and just have normal texting. Is that possible? Is there a way I can get back to sending and receiving picture messages without using cellular data?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is there a way to completely disable iMessage and use normal texting?
Tidbits
Legend

You need cellular data on to send and receive MMS. They do not count towards your data limits. MMS works a little different than SMS in that regard.

View solution in original post

deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes just turn iMessage off in your settings icon under messaging.

mattattack
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes just turn iMessage off in your settings icon under messaging.

I did that. There was no change, I still can't send or receive picture messages without cellular data being turned on. That must mean my phone is still using imessage even if it says it's not, right?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You need cellular data on to send and receive MMS. They do not count towards your data limits. MMS works a little different than SMS in that regard.

mattattack
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tidbits wrote:

Well that's kind of nuts. I didn't need "cellular data" to receive pics on my non-smart phones. I've been trying to keep a tight leash on my data usage with all these new data hog apps (looking at you Facebook), so this makes things really inconvenient. If I switch to a Galaxy s5 can I shut off data completely and still receive picture messages?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes you did even on the basic phones. It doesn't count towards your data limits that's why you didn't know. Only data capable basic phones can send picture messages.

Tidbits
Legend

No doesn't matter the device you need an active cellular connection to send picture messages.

Honestly I don't do social media on my phone even though I have an unlimited data plan.  Just a personal stance I set myself to. If I use it I use it at home.

rcschnoor
Legend

You can also change settings in the Facebook app to only upload when connected to wifi.

mattattack
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks guys.

Lots of good info here.

I know about turning the facebook app to wifi, etc. I'm more worried about the apps I normally don't think about, doing something unexpectedly crazy. Like some new game downloading/uploading a crap load of data because I forget to click a single button in the settings menu. That's why I keep cellular off unless I need it.

It's just disappointing that while it's off I can't get voice messages (due to iOS8's visual voice mail) or picture messages.

It seems strange that imessage can handle standard text over wifi but a picture over wifi is just too complicated. But whatever.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

mattattack wrote:

It seems strange that imessage can handle standard text over wifi but a picture over wifi is just too complicated. But whatever.

For what it is worth, the iPhone can send iMessages over wifi with/without photos attached. It is when iMessage is not available and the message is sent as MMS that cellular data is required. Unfortunately, iMessages are only available to iPhones(with iMessage enabled) and if you are sending to a phone which is NOT an iPhone or the iPhone you are sending to does not have iMessage enabled your message will be sent as an SMS/MMS and different protocols are required.