Is this an iPhone problem or a Verizon problem?
mbpt
Enthusiast - Level 1

(and how can I fix it?)

My daughter is having problems with text messages. When she turns off iMessages she can receive text messages but can't send them. When she turns it on, she can. On the other hand, if I turn on iMessages, I get all her texts coming into my phone and she doesn't get anything. (I really don't need to see the text message exchanges between a bunch of teenage girls!) When I turn it off, I don't. (thankfully)

If that was all it was, I'd suspect this is an iOS problem with her iPhone and our iCloud account. However, I always thought texts were attached to our individual cell phone numbers.

The fact that when she turns off the iMessages, she can't receive anything doesn't make sense to me. With iMessages turned on, it works, but any text message she sends to me, bounces right back to her phone. (Weird!)

She should have unlimited texting. (part of our plan)

My wife, also on the plan, never seems to have any problems. Her iMessages is turned off as well.

Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is this an iPhone problem or a Verizon problem?
Tidbits
Legend

Remove the Apple ID from one phone and make a new one. Setup Family share so you guys can share apps (providing the developer allows it).  Make sure you disassociate the apple ID with the telephone number.

View solution in original post

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It sounds like both phones are using the same Apple ID - each iPhone needs their own Apple ID account set up.

As far as when she receives messages and doesn't and what's turned on or off, fix the Apple ID issue and then see what still persists and report back if you need additional help.

Tidbits
Legend

Remove the Apple ID from one phone and make a new one. Setup Family share so you guys can share apps (providing the developer allows it).  Make sure you disassociate the apple ID with the telephone number.

mbpt
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you MiiHere and Tidbits -

It was an Apple ID conflict. Setting up two separate Apple ID's on both phones (and a third for my wife) and turning on the Family Share, fixed the problem.