Message + Mac OS Change Numbers
DERCAR78

I am struggling to get Message+ working on my Mac after changing phone numbers.

Message+ (M+) had been installed and was working on an old number.  I tried to disconnect my Mac using the application.  It offered a spinning wheel for several minutes before I did a Force Quit.  I uninstalled the application by moving it to the trash, rebooted the computer and reinstalled the application.

Interestingly, reinstalling the application allowed me to re-initialize the app to the new phone number.  I got the code and entered it and the application crashed.

In the meantime, I tried using the M+ web interface.  It operates pretty flaky, sometimes showing an active conversation and other times not, but that's not important.  Using the web interface I disconnected my Mac.

Now, the application will sort of start.  It shows cached conversations from the old number appear, and message box that says that the device has been disconnected and wants to know if I want to continue to browse message offline or Erase & Disconnect.  There's only one button, the latter.  So I press that button whose function would be fine with me.  But, then the app crashes again.

Now, I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the application.  But I'm no longer asked to reconnect with a new number.  

Somewhere on the computer is a cache of information that needs to be deleted but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Does *anyone* know where M+ caches it's data on a Mac or otherwise how to resolve this issue?  This is important to me because I'm switching to a Pixel device.  M+ is my only reasonable cross platform solution on the Mac.  Please help me!

0 Likes
Re: Message + Mac OS Change Numbers
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh my goodness, DERCAR78! I would be certainly concerned if I wasn't able to set up my Message + on my computer as well. Help has arrived. Which OS do you have on your Mac? Are you successfully able to connect to another platform with the Message + app such as an iPad or other tablet? Have you reached out to Apple yet to see where you can clear the application cache on your device? JosephT_VZW

0 Likes
DERCAR78

Hi, thank you!

Yes, I'm using M+ on both my iPad and iPhone.  I'm getting an Android phone and was trying to get M+ up and going everywhere before the new phone arrives.  No iCloud Messages on an Android device...

I'm running Mojave 10.14.4.

I have not spoke with Apple, I don't have Apple Care...  That said, I have searched both the User and System caches for files related to the M+ app, and I can't find any 😞  I'm not a huge fan of clearing all the caches arbitrarily.

Do you know in which cache I should find the backed up information with regards to M+?  I'm sort of at a loss!

0 Likes
DERCAR78

I win.

I deleted M+ again, rebooted the computer and cleaned all of the application cache, and rebooted the computer again and reinstalled M+. (Step 1)

When M+ was started, it again showed me old messages from the old number with the option to disconnect and continue which I tried again, only to have M+ crash again. (Step 2)

At this point I'm figuring it's getting something from the Verizon server so I repeated step one above.  Then, I disconnected the computer from the network, and started M+.  M+ was relatively happy except that was discouraged about not being connected to the network.

I navigated to the settings->General pane and told it to disconnect this device.  The dialog popped up complaining about not being connected to the network.  I turned on the network and waited to connect, then pressed disconnect again which it did.  

Now I was able to add my phone number again, it reconnected to the Verizon server and all of my new messages popped up!  

The application is now running on my Mac very happily and I'm satisfied if still confused about where on my computer the old data was being stored.  The bigger problem was the disconnect and reconnect process which requires more care than I think Messag+ has accounted for.

I win.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DERCAR78, it's great to hear that you were able to get your Message+ issues solved on your computer. Is there anything else that we can help with today?

JoelR_VZW

0 Likes