Misleading
jke180

I recently received a warning regarding going over my shared 2100 minutes. I went on the website and was advised by switching plans, to unlimited text and phone with a data package, my bill currently bill would be approximately $255.00 and monthly charges from this point on would be approximately $285.00. I made the switch. I received my bill today, it was $420.00, with overage charges on three of the four lines equaling $199.35. The charges were spread out through the month, some as early as first part of March. When I called, I was total the overage is due to the prorated 2100 minutes to 1700, however could not explain why additional charges appeared in the first week of the billing cycle. Bottom line, could not do anything about the bill, charged 119.35 additional for talking on cell phones. I only made the change due to the website, Verizon Wireless, estimates for current and future bills. Total misleading statements. I have been a customer since 1999 and will not be after tonight. Totally disappointed in the business practice of Verizon.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Misleading
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
jke180, we definitely want to set the right expectations to avoid a negative billing experience. Since you changed your plan during your bill cycle, your minute, text and data allowances will were prorated.  As a result, you were billed for overage. It's recommended that you back date all plan changes to avoid overage. For a detailed explanation of how changing your plan mid cycle can affect your billing, click http://vz.to/1qILFTG and select "If I Change my plan in the middle of my bill cycle."

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

It's called proration

0 Likes
jke180

Why then is there an overage charge in minutes used during the first week of the billing cycle? The overage charges, if the plan was prorated would start once the minutes have been used up, not in the front end of the billing cycle.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It is total number of shared minutes, so it doesn't matter which minutes count as plan or overage, as long as it adds up. for some reason, when they calculate the bill, they do not evenly distribute plan minutes.  They do the same thing with shared data. 

Were you given the option to start plan retroactively at start of billing period?, that is what you should have done.   I have seen that screen before, and they do give you a warning that indicates by switching in middle of cycle you may be liable for overage charges. 

You may want to try kindly explaining what you thought you were doing and ask if it could be adjusted to start the plan at the beginning of the billing period.   That would be best.  You may at least get some break if they do not agree to that.  

jke180

Actually the screen did say the estimated bill would be X for the current billing cycle and Y for subsequent months. The actual current bill was 47% higher. The customer service person could not explain or did she know why the charges were "spread out", the screen indicated a savings by switching. If there was not an "X" as an estimated current bill, or if there was any mention of a 47% increase in current charges, I would have not made the change.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
jke180, we definitely want to set the right expectations to avoid a negative billing experience. Since you changed your plan during your bill cycle, your minute, text and data allowances will were prorated.  As a result, you were billed for overage. It's recommended that you back date all plan changes to avoid overage. For a detailed explanation of how changing your plan mid cycle can affect your billing, click http://vz.to/1qILFTG and select "If I Change my plan in the middle of my bill cycle."

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
daonys
Contributor - Level 1

You're not understanding how proration works. It showed what your current bill was with your current plan and what the bill would be with the new plan. That was for the plan itself, not the prorated charges for making a change in the middle of a bill cycle. Because you changed in the middle of your cycle, your 2100 minutes went to 1700. It doesn't matter which minutes were considered overage as you were only alotted 1700 from making the change and it does let you know that when you make a change "on demand" (meaning in the middle of your cycle), there would be proration in your allowance as well as on your plan costs. Your next bill will be more what you're expecting since you won't have the change giving you those overage charges.

0 Likes