Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moving to Japan
ar3773

We are moving to Japan in a few months and will be there for 3 years. I just recently upgraded to the iPhone 6 plus and the thought of cancelling my cell phone and no longer having the same phone number that I've had for 11 years really bothers me; I don't want to lose my number (yes I'm weird, I get it).

I'm taking a shot in the dark by posting on here and hoping someone can give some insight.

Has anyone moved to a foreign country, kept their same service and number, and just added global services and kept their contract/service going that way?

I can live with limiting use of the phone - it's an iPhone, so I can live with being dependent on iMessaging, FaceTime, Skype, Tango, etc. We do plan on getting internet service at our future home.

Just want to get some advice. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Moving to Japan
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We understand the need to keep your phone number ar3773. We only allow long term suspension for military services. You can keep the phone active but the bill will continue to generate. You can temporarily suspend the line but only for a minimum time frame. Here is some information about our suspension option http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/suspend-service-faqs/ . I hope this information is helpful.

Kinquana_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We understand the need to keep your phone number ar3773. We only allow long term suspension for military services. You can keep the phone active but the bill will continue to generate. You can temporarily suspend the line but only for a minimum time frame. Here is some information about our suspension option http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/suspend-service-faqs/ . I hope this information is helpful.

Kinquana_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ar3773

Thank you, that does help and we are moving due to military orders.

I didn't know if others had kept their phone active. I knew if we did this, the bill would continue to generate and I was fine with that.

What I did not know was that we could suspend our account for 3 years and 90 days. That may be the option we take.

Thanks again!