My Iphone 6 was stolen.
k9smom
Enthusiast - Level 2

How hard is it for anyone to get into your phone with the thumbprint security set?  I don't think I can wipe it, I never set up the Icloud. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My Iphone 6 was stolen.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any phone will be rather tough to get into today without knowing the passcode or fingerprint last used with the device. They will still be able to use the phone if they factory reset the phone from DFU mode, unless iCloud Activation Lock was enabled - then the phone is almost an expensive paperweight. Although, getting around that activation lock is pretty trivial to anyone who knows a bit about networking and intercepting an activation lock check.

0 Likes
k9smom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info.  Like everyone else today I had a lot of financial info on the phone bank info, starbucks, apple pay, even taco bell!.  I just don't know if I should cancel all my cards and change my passwords.  I had tried to back it up via verizon, but it never finished.   

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

K9smom Oh no, are you okay? I’m sad to learn your phone was stolen. I’m glad you have the thumbprint security set up. The ability to access the phone is very low. I want to get you over to Apple for a little clarification on the security. http://apple.co/1NLXary
DeloresK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try this, just in case you've activated iCloud by accident.

Go to https://www.icloud.com/ and sign in with your Apple ID

Click on "Find my iPhone"

If your phone appears in the list, Find my iPhone (and thus the Activation Lock) is active.

With this you can opt to do two things. You can leave the phone be, and use that data to file a police report. Some people have had luck with retrieving their phones from thieves this way. Alternatively, Apple provides a way to wipe the phone using this page. Doing this will reboot the phone the next time it comes online, wipe it securely (all data on iPhone is encrypted at a hardware level, thanks to how Apple engineered the phone), and land it at the activation lock screen rendering it a brick.

Regardless, when you do receive a new phone, keep the "Find my iPhone" feature enabled. While it can be bypassed and know-how is out there for older iOS versions, it helps to keep iPhone theft discouraged.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question but can only be answered by you. I have had to cancel my cards and it is not fun nor easy. However, we don't want to say don't either. It is really up to you. Did you try the Find my iPhone link that was sent to you by Sean?
DeloresKKKKK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes