My iPad just used over 500MB of Cellular Data in the Software Update category. My iPad has been in my house with Wifi available for the last couple of weeks. Why is it using the Cellular network for anything if Wifi is available?
NetworkAdmin

My iPad just used over 500MB of Cellular Data in the Software Update category. My iPad has been in my house with Wifi available for the last couple of weeks. Why is it using the Cellular network for anything if Wifi is available?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My iPad just used over 500MB of Cellular Data in the Software Update category. My iPad has been in my house with Wifi available for the last couple of weeks. Why is it using the Cellular network for anything if Wifi is available?
Loquat
Master - Level 1

I don't know if it's just an issue I've had in the past...but I know my iPhone disconnects from WiFi once it idles with the screen off for a while.  The only reason I can tell is because my Wireless indicator on my router goes off until the minute I wake the iPhone or iPad for any reason.  I don't have anything set to back up or download without be allowing it so I haven't had the exact issue you're having.  But I do know my iPhone and iPad will disconnect from WiFi once they've idled for a period of time.

0 Likes
Re: My iPad just used over 500MB of Cellular Data in the Software Update category. My iPad has been in my house with Wifi available for the last couple of weeks. Why is it using the Cellular network for anything if Wifi is available?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Loquat, we don't want this to be an ongoing issue for you. Your device is designed to default and connect to our network when your Wi-Fi connection is weak. However, you can disable data in Settings>Cellular>Disable Data to prevent your device from accessing our network when the Wi-Fi network signal strength is weak.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
NetworkAdmin

Thanks for your reply, however, usually when I am not using my iPad I have it in my home office charging which is where my modem/Wifi is located so the signal shouldn't be weak.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NetworkAdmin, that's an important clue too. The Wi-Fi signal strength can also be weakened when there are multiple devices to connected to it, as well. Did you disable data in Settings>Celular on that device to prevent this from happening again?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

All the info you need has been posted.  You can turn the cell dAta off and only turn it on when you need it. Get used to doing thus. Once your  device goes into sleep mode it may convert to cell data instead of WiFi.  Also you can power down while charging.

0 Likes
NetworkAdmin

Yes, I have it turned off now.

Thanks.

0 Likes
NetworkAdmin

Thanks. I'll start doing that. It just frustrating when I've been using less than 2GB of data each month but now I'm using 3GB of data in 2.5 weeks. Something has changed.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Right  so under settings cellular / use cellular for it lists software update as using the data? What app list the most MB or GB there?

0 Likes
NetworkAdmin

I'm sorry I can't give you a meaningful answer. I turned on my Cellular and turned off cellular for all of the apps except for the ones I would mostly want to use when I'm away from home. I also reset the stats so I could see what was happening after I changed everything. However, I do remember the stats showed that the programs that used the cellular the most did not exceed 150MB and that is with the last stat reset being over a year ago. The 500MB of usage by Software Update happened within the last week not even ONE month and the most any of the apps that I set to be allowed use cellular did NOT exceed 10kb or .01MB.

0 Likes