My sister gave me her Apple5, she has AT&T
MikeBrandy
Enthusiast - Level 1

My sister just gave me her Apple5, she has AT&T. Can I buy a SIM to use it on my Verizon account?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My sister gave me her Apple5, she has AT&T
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MikeBrandy, we have great news! You can use your sister's current sim card and just activate it on your line. For your convenience, it can be activated online at My Verizon http://vz.to/1FGCRFC

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

mama23dogs
Legend

It has to be unlocked by AT&T before you can use it on another carrier.

it has to go through the unlock portal with the original AT&T SIM card.  Then restore with iTunes to finish unlock.

it will have limited use on Verizon.  It would work fine with T-Mobile.

wynnnj1977
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi MikeBrandy, unfortunately iphone 5 or 5S from AT&T are not able to use with verizon because the CDMA part of these phones is disabled (correct me if I am wrong), even they got unlocked by AT&T.

Weth
Legend

iPhone 6 and 6 plus from AT&T can be used on Verizon.

iPhone 5S, 5C and 5 will not register since the CDMA component is not active on the phones. Maybe in the future when Verizon has LTE only phones, but not right now. Of course by then, the phone will be ancient history.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MikeBrandy, we have great news! You can use your sister's current sim card and just activate it on your line. For your convenience, it can be activated online at My Verizon http://vz.to/1FGCRFC

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Snn5
Legend

Are you sure, Weth seems pretty much on point here.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

The he straight scoop...

In deciding to go with blazing fast LTE capability in the iPhone 5, Apple was forced to release three different devices to meet compatibility with different LTE network standards worldwide.

The A1428 model iPhone 5 is the Canadian and US AT&T network GSM iPhone, including broad support for UMTS/HSPA+DC-HSDPA (frequencies 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (frequencies 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), and LTE bands 4 and 17.

The A1429 iPhone comes in two different flavors, one CDMA and one GSM. The GSM model is designed to support LTE in Asia (including Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, and South Korea). This GSM iPhone will also work on LTE in Australia, Germany, and the UK on bands 1, 3, and 5.

The CDMA version of model A1429 works on Sprint's and Verizon's LTE networks in the US, along with the KDDI network in Japan on bands 1, 3, 5, 13, and 25. The CDMA version also supports GSM bands, making the CDMA iPhone 5 compatible with GSM networks. However, the CDMA A1429 will not support LTE on GSM networks in the US.

So which model number is it?

MikeBrandy
Enthusiast - Level 1

The model number is: A1428

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It will not according to the last post's information.

MikeBrandy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I appreciate your help .. but it looks like some of you guys need to update the info you're spreading. I had the phone unlocked, inserted a new SIM, and it now works on Verizon.

0 Likes