Re: Number Spoofing
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Quick internet search yielded this article. May or may not be helpful. Since my iPhone isn't having any of the issues that you are nor have I ever had one do so I can't test any of the suggestions in the article out for you. You may have tried some of them but it won't hurt to take a look. http://internet-safety.yoursphere.com/2014/02/how-to-prevent-your-iphone-from-being-hacked-and-what-...

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I know this hasn't been asked but has your iPhone ever been altered by jailbreaking? That alone opens your device up to issues that wouldn't occur otherwise. And the other unmentioned but assumed wasn't the case question...have you ever shared an Apple ID with anyone?

0 Likes
DavidCx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nothing has been altered with my hardware, or my Apple account. What has changed is the fact that I know receive harassing calls.

At what point does it become Verizon's problem?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Someone calling you isn't Verizon's fault unless they gave out your number. But if you have used your phone number for contact purposes (bills, online, etc) then your number may be public simply by companies viewing the public portion of your credit report. If you're not on the Do Not Call registry then that may explain some calls (unless the calls are from a specific person that you know). You have tools available to block calls unless they are coming from unknown numbers. I believe you mentioned that you weren't willing to change your phone number so that eliminates a tool you have available. I don't use Family Base but I believe you may be able to block calls from people that won't identify their numbers (I may be wrong about that but that's something you can easily check). I thought the issue was about your phone number being spoofed and making calls you didn't make. But if you are having issues with someone calling you and harassing you that's a different issue. You may be able to press charges on whom ever is harassing you...if you know who it is or have a number that is doing it.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3
0 Likes
DavidCx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Someone using my number (not device) and making calls with it that I don't know about, and other people's numbers calling me that they don't know about is a much larger issue than "it must be your fault".  I don't  have the ability to solve this problem, (which isn't simply isolated to only my number) without help from my cellular provider.

I'm not sure you have a complete understanding of the issue here, but I appreciate your suggestions!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Ok...someone using your phone number (spoofing) usually means that someone is using an app or something in order to do so. Your provider isn't the one that caused this to occur but if you feel strongly that Verizon should have a fix then you need to contact them directly. Or search the Internet for similar instances to see what others have had occur. I understand what you have said thus far. What I don't understand is why you think that it's Verizon's fault and not a hacking that can occur outside of Verizon's control (unless it is happening to a large number of their customer base and it's due to their systems being compromised. That doesn't seem to be the case based on searching so far). But again...call Verizon directly (this forum will not help you the way you want as quickly as you want as 95% of your responses will be from fellow customers like myself).

Someone calling and harassing you...again is not something Verizon is responsible for (see previous post with links that can help you). I understand this complaint also. I can't really attempt to help you further as I have thrown out as many suggestions as I can come across. You can contact the appropriate people (Verizon, FCC, local authorities, etc) or you can continue to research on your own. If someone else can offer more ideas I'm sure they will. Otherwise there isn't much else I can attempt to offer. Hope you can get whatever help that you need to clear this up

0 Likes
Liz317

Can I just say...When I called VerizonWireless they told me my issue of my device facetiming a random number was indeed a common occurrence.  The device is doing it, not me.  Walked me through how to fix it.  I then went to the Verizon physical store, just in case VerizonWireless messed up somewhere while on the phone.  I totally understand your frustration, and I will make VerizonWireless prove their error. 

This issue has got me in a predicament that I had to get an attorney, because my phone is randomly facetime a number that I have no idea about.  Yea, it's that bad.  Verizon will be held responsible.

It's a shame really, I spend $1000 on this phone(Iphone6plus) and it does this. 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If it's the device then you need to be talking to Apple. Would sound like a hardware issue and not someone using your device based on what you just said. I personally have never experienced an issue with my iPhone 6 Plus or any of the other iPhones in my home (ranging from the 5 to the 6s Plus) randomly dialing anyone of face calling anyone so I can't replicate the problem unfortunately. You're only giving pieces of what you're experiencing while not answering any questions so it does make it that more difficult to attempt to assist you. If you have an attorney involved then best of luck. If that is the case it would appear that you weren't looking for help so much but more of a place to rant. That's not a problem but it would have eliminated a lot of back and forth if you had pointed that out. You may have already contacted Apple and had a replacement device but you having actually disclosed that. I'm sure your attorney would have already exhausted all of those avenues prior to starting a legal case though. Good luck!

Liz317

Actually, I did specify all issues in a different area on this website.  Under Iphone6s, I believe that is where it got moved(again, not by my doing).

When it's my phone number...PHONE NUMBER which Verizon Wireless...the Wireless Company, falling under Verizon Communications has given me, that shows up on the receiving end, and the receiver has decided to press harassment charges, then it would indeed come back to VW, not Apple.   I now, have to prove that it was not me, as to not get a misdemeanor on my record.  Right?  Because Facetime is run on data, VW is telling me that I can't track incoming or outgoing times and dates and to screen shot all of my Facetime usage...Which on my end is 1 single time.  On their end, it's been over 2 dozen times, all hours of the day/night in the matter of a few days.

If Verizon Wireless wants to take that up with Apple, by all means, go ahead. 

As for a rant?  This was my experience with VW.  I've been a customer over a decade, and I too, have mutliple devices in my home, that I've never had an issue with.  It's not all rainbows and unicorns out there and people should know, when they come here looking for advice or help, there are still people who give good, honest feedback.

Have a wonderful day Kaebfly!

0 Likes