Old emails didn't transfer to replacement iPhone 6
SurferD

I had the front camera crescent happened on my 6 so Verizon sent me a replacement. It came unboxed so I assume it was a refurbished unit. I thought was it was supposed to be new according to the warranty. Anyway I backed up my old one in iTunes. When I finally got the new one working my email account was thee but there were no old saved emails. How do I get my older Mail on the new phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Old emails didn't transfer to replacement iPhone 6
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Warranty replacements are always refurbished units.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SurferD

Yea I figured that.

Is there a way to import my old email from my old phone?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the old emails are still on the email server then they should already be available. You just need to tweak the server settings on the new device to sync the emails with the phone.

Otherwise I have no clue how Apple devices save emails to the device let alone how to transfer them. I keep my emails on the server. I never save emails to my devices and remove them from the email server. I might "star" them as important so they continue to be synced longer than the server settings on the device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sharipaula

I wish the Verizon employee and the Store Manager had been as honest and knowledgeable as you to say "I have no clue how Apple devices save emails to the device let alone how to transfer them."  After being yelled at condescendingly by an employee insisting eighteen times that the way my emails would reappear on my new phone was via the Roadrunner server, after I repeatedly informed them I had deleted slews of emails from the server that remained on my Iphone 5S and I wanted THOSE included in the promised replication of my old phone on the new, the store manager came to tell me definitively "your emails are NOT stored on your iphone."  Having been in the store getting information (misinformation?) from them for going on 3 hours, I was brain fried and didn't realize the ludicrouslness of what they were saying, let alone how they were saying it ant that they were taking my time, let alone money.  Today flying back home to NYC, in airplane mode with no wifi and no broadband, with full access to old emails over a year old, I thought, omg, how on earth are these people authorized to . . . rob consumers of their valuable time and energy, essentially.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You'll likely need to do a backup of the old phone and a restore to the new phone using iTunes. That will usually copy more data, including confidential account information (includes cookies!) and saved e-mails. The most you should need to do at that point is re-enter the account information for your e-mail account, if you're prompted.

Word of advice - use IMAP for your mail and let the server do the heavy lifting including storing all of your messages. I have seen far too many instances of the mailbox database corrupting on a phone for having too many e-mails. This is in a corporate environment of course, where e-mail being broken for a second on a phone means the planet is imploding. As strange as it may sound, Yahoo is probably one of the few mail providers I can suggest where you can get away with doing this, without having to worry about how much space is available on the account (like the puny amount ISPs give for e-mail or the 15-25GB Google gives). Just be sure to make good use of their disposable e-mail address feature, totally underutilized.

0 Likes