Phishing
Revee

Within the last two weeks my phone is under siege from foreign calls pretending to be from the US Government. They want to (1) award me a grant, (2) give me money left by someone in Nigeria, (3) I am subject to arrest by the US Government, and the list goes on.  I have filed acomplaint with the FTC but the calls keep coming to the tune of 19 in just over 12 hours.  When I confront them on the phone they get angry and scream at me.  I've blocked numbers and they call from a different line or it says "unknown" and if I don't answer they continue to call back to back, non-stop.

This week I started receiving calls from insurance providers in response to a request for quotes that I never requested.  What's happened?  How has my number been hijacked?  How do I stop this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phishing
deloused
Master - Level 3

It definitely was a good idea to block the unwanted numbers from being able to contact you, as well as filing the FTC complaint so they can investigate further. It certainly sounds like scammers are illegitimately messing with you, and since they have your number on their list they could submit it to other websites (like insurance ones) to cause further aggravation, perhaps as you mention because they got angry you called them out on their unwanted calls.

The best way to stop the issue would be to change your number to another one, so they won't be able to contact you anymore.

0 Likes