Phone not Activating
Luke94

So my Iphone 8 was bought for me as a gift last week. I have currently moved back to New Zealand and my sim card does not work in the phone saying it needs to be activated by the service provider. How can i activate my phone and get it unlocked from overseas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone not Activating
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was the phone ever activated on the Verizon Wireless network as a post paid device?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Luke94

Hi Ann,

The phone was never activated and was told that it was already unlocked

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It might not have been. Verizon will start locking phones to its network to prevent armed robberies | Ars Technica

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Luke94

Ok I see. So how do I go about getting it to work over here in New Zealand if that is the case?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question Ann154. Beginning earlier this year, any iPhone devices purchased from Verizon is unlocked immediately after being activated on Verizon. 

Luke94, the only way to unlock the phone is to activate the device with Verizon service. 

Regina_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Luke94

Does that mean that the phone has to be sent back to the States for the phone to be activated?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Luke94, that is correct. Ann154 is right on the device having to be activated on postpaid service before the phone is used internationally. This is due to the need to reduce international theft on unlocked Verizon devices. Too many fraudulent orders were made on customer's accounts, and then sent overseas to be used under different carriers. Please let me know if your question has been fully answered. To fully ensure I got the details and to avoid assumptions, where was the device bought from?

Akane_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Luke94

Thanks. it was purchased from Sams Club In Nebraska.

Cheers Luke

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for that information, Luke94. This does confirm that the phone must be sent back to the U.S., in order to activate it successfully. Once the device is activated, it will be available for international use and fully unlocked. I hope this information is beneficial.

Marshall_VZW

0 Likes