Picking up Canadian Towers, Roaming setting is set to off.
rmd721
Enthusiast - Level 2

The roaming setting on my iphone 6 is set to off yet,I'm still being charged for using a Canadian tower from time to time.

Someone from billing told me that even though roaming is off, it's only "restricted" and not completely off. Can someone explain to me how that's even possible when in the roaming settings it says "turn on voice and data roaming to make phone calls, browse the web, and use email, MMS, and other data services when traveling internationally." How can that even be possible if that setting is off? The setting statement doesn't even imply it's restricted only. I don't even get any notifications saying that I'm in Canada or anything associated with the fees.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Picking up Canadian Towers, Roaming setting is set to off.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Rmd721,

We want your charges to be accurate especially when travelling! When/where (location) do you turn off the Roaming when traveling? Once the travel is complete, when/where (location) do you turn the feature back on? How frequently are you billed on each trip?

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Your comment is one of the prime reasons why customers get pissed when you guys chime in. The poster never said they were travelling to canada. They are picking up Canadian towers near the border . Please read before commenting. This isn't even my post and I'm irritated.

rmd721
Enthusiast - Level 2

PamelaF_VZM-Please re read what I initially stated. Pherson is right about the reason customers get angry with customer service is because clearly you guys don't read the questions in depth before responding.

As I stated-I never was in Canada.

I've had my roaming set to off on my iphone 6 since I purchased it and renewed my contract. For the past 3 billings I've been billed between $10.00-$10.50 each month for picking up a Canadian tower when making phone calls even when my roaming is set to off. Not once have I ever received a message saying the standard "Welcome to Canada" texts stating the fess that go along with it, which is why I'm bringing this up 3 billings later because I had no idea this was going on in the first place on the line I was being billed for.

I contacted someone from billing over the weekend via chat-In which they were not helpful at all. They explained to me that even though my roaming is set to off, it's not fully off it just "limits" it. But in the settings under roaming it clearly states "Turn on voice and data roaming to make phone calls, browse the web, and use email, MMS, and other data services when traveling internationally." Clearly this statement implies that it's either off or on not somewhere in between in which the representative I spoke to via chat said it was.

Since then I've spoken to a representative on the phone and your tech support about this issue. Unfortunately the representative was only able to reimburse me for the latest charge on my billing and tech support said the only thing they could do was actually turn off the roaming features on all my phones on my account because they were not able to or allowed to reconfigure my tower access based on the locations I was getting/receiving the calls. But even tech support said I shouldn't be getting charges like this when my roaming is set to off. I shouldn't have to call them to have them turn it off on their end. Ridiculous.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Rmd721,

Thanks for the additional details! We definitely want to get your issue resolved. Service (voice and/or data) may be carried by a cell site located in a neighboring country and billed at that country's rates. So a cellsite can be in the USA and bill at Canadian charges depending on how close the tower is to the border. This is why you are not receiving a roaming alert. We can attempt to set your services to "USA" only in an effort to keep the calls from placing on that particular tower closes to the border generating the roaming charges.

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

That's horrible.

rmd721
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's what I asked tech support people to do originally, to re configure my cell tower coverage and they told me they couldn't. I picked up an international tower that I shouldn't have been able to pick up in the first place. I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again to me or to anyone else because, $30-$40 that I can't get back now.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rmd721,

We don't want to see you inconvenienced in any way. Log into your My Verizon www.vzw.com/myverizon. Please check to see if the USA Only feature is visable on your account. You will need to select Change features option to view all your available features and confirm if that is in fact on your account.

SandyS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dexterswife
Enthusiast - Level 2

Perhaps put a Canadian Plan on. It's not that much more expensive than the ME plans.

0 Likes