Serious issues with "certified like new" devices
bblane27
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been a loyal version customer for years now. I have never had an issue until recently when my phone started having issues. With it being under warranty I took it in and Verizon issued me a refurbished device. The representatives talked a lot about how great the "certified like new device" would be and how Verizon spends time and effort ensuring you will receive a quality device. Well I recently received my 4th "certified like new" device and I have a 5th on the way. Why you might ask. Well let me tell you. First device's home button didn't work at all. You would think that would be an easy feature to check before shipping it off to someone but I guess not. So I tried again. This time the phones screen freezes up and not touch input works. The home button on this one did work though but hey you can't win them all right? So they send me another device. This device arrived today. The screen was half black. I instantly took it into the Verizon store and the representative looked at it and says "this is ridiculous, who would think this is ok to send to a customer?" I myself was thinking the same thing. So I am sending the phone that I just got back in the mail and I have to hold onto the phone who's screen freezes up, because at least on this device I can see the screen and with a reset it will work once again. I appalled that this is all Verizon has to offer me. One broken device after another and they seem perfectly content to do nothing to correct this issue. The only thing that helps is the fact that by the time I get a device that might be considered "functional" Verizon will have spent enough money on shipping phones to and back from me that they would have been better off just replacing it with a new device. Let's pray the next device actually gets set up before it too starts displaying the issues that it was originally returned for. It's rather upsetting that Verizon cares so little about its customers that it has shipped me 3 broken devices already and not bothers to correct this in any way. The representatives at the store have told me all they can do it continue to send me the "certified like new" devices that are broken. Has anyone else experienced this? How did you get it fixed?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Serious issues with "certified like new" devices
deloused
Master - Level 3

Pretty similar here, I have had 2 CLNR devices in my past, the one iPhone was for the same defective home button. While it's true the carrier's can only send the CLNRs for warranty purposes, if you go to an Apple Store instead they can replace them right there, and you can make sure it's working properly before leaving to avoid such frustration. Definitely a benefit of the manufacturer's physical presence, and hopefully Apple continues to improve the home buttons!

0 Likes
bblane27
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you take the CLNR device that you get from Verizon in to apple and get it replaced?

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes, as long as it's still covered under the warranty (less than a year old and no no aftermarket parts)

0 Likes
bblane27
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well how do i tell how old my phone is? Verizon has sent me so many broken CLNR devices I couldn't tell you which one is which or how old it is.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The cell phone company does you a favor by handling the warranty replacement for you. Back in the day you had to send the phone back to the manufacturer to get it fixed and or replaced. You still have that option; that way you would have the same phone back. It's up to you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bblane27, we are happy to clear up any confusion with your phone. Was the original new phone purchased less than one year ago? How long ago did you receive the replacement?
LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bblane27
Enthusiast - Level 2

The original was purchased over a year ago. I am paying insurance for the extended warranty. The original went bad a month or two ago and I got a "certified like new" device. That device also went bad and so I got a second like new device last Monday. That one was also broken. So I got another one Thursday. That one was also broken. I will be receiving a 4th device tomorrow in the mail. I just want to know what needs to be done so I can actually get a working phone rather than someone else's broken device that Verizon just ships to me.

Hakced

Wow I see that didn't wanna touch that one I'm going thru a similar problem been a long time loyal customer and I'm really getting sick of it I asked for a new charger and they acted like I asked to borrow a million dollars

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes