Service and signal loss on a iPhone 5; works fine on wifi
sassyteacher

I really need some advice on the current issue I'm having with my iPhone 5.

Beginning last night, my phone suddenly began to lose signal on and off. Sometimes it drops from LTE to 3G, other times it just drops from LTE to no service at all. It comes back for a few seconds at a time, but not long enough to function. Along with this I can't make calls or texts because the signal doesn't last long enough.

I turned it on and off 3 times, but nothing changed. I googled my issue and the common solution was to reset the network settings, but that also didn't work. I brought into Verizon today, and the lady helping me also did all of the above, to no avail.

I still have the extended warranty, but she warned me that if I send it in, and there's been water damage, they will charge me for a brand new phone which I cannot afford. It's never been submerged in any water, but I'm a little worried that a tiny bit of rain water splashed it or something. I live in the south where it rains everyday, but it's never been soaked or anything. She checked my speaker jack to see if the moisture strip was red (meaning it came in contact with something liquid), and the sticker just isn't there. I just checked the one in the Sim card slot and it was not red. Should I go ahead and send it in and take the gamble? Are there any other options I'm not thinking of here?

I don't really know what is the best option here. So any advice or help is welcomed. Thank you so much!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Service and signal loss on a iPhone 5; works fine on wifi
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would advise you to call or go online to Apple.com directly, and skip Verizon.  If there is an Apple Genius Bar nearby, that's your best bet, but Apple.com works too.  My son had issues with his Verizon iPhone, and Apple was simply awesome in getting the issue resolved, quickly, and at no cost to us as the phone was still under warranty (manufacturer's warranty, meaning Apple!).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to learn of the signal issues outlined in your post sassyteacher! I understand that you have reset network settings and issues continue. I'd like to check your area, please provide your ZIP code. Also ensure that you have the latest iOS software version installed http://bit.ly/Xh6Ga2 as not having the latest version may cause several issues including signal reception issues. Finally, reset the connection to our network and test: power off>remove SIM card for one minute>insert SIM card>power on.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
sassyteacher

Thank you both for your responses.

SuzyQ, thanks for your feedback. The nearest Apple store is sadly over an hour away, but I'm going to try making the trip this weekend. I'm going to talk to them online as well too. Thanks for the tip!

And Verizon, I've done all of that as well. I took it in to my local store and no one else is having issues. My phone is up to date on all the software and I've even tried the Sim card trick. Still no connection.

I did get my phone capabilities to work by turning off all cellular data. I no longer lose Verizon's phone service (calling and texting) but I still cannot get LTE or 3G. If I turn on cellular data, LTE/3G go on and off and so does my service.

0 Likes
ddanise
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had this issue as well.

Verizon Wireless Customer Support: I have heard over and over again about how sorry Verizon is about an inconvenience.

I've made my monthly payment

I've made the payment I'VE AGREED TO PAY and yet I received notice that I owe a balance (Where did that come from?) and I need to make a payment by the 15th.

I make my automatic payments through my on line banking service and Verizon gets that payment on the due date...and guess what happened today????

My cellular data was turned off so that I cannot send texts or check emails unless I am on a wifi.

Today is June 12.

Payment is due June 15 (and is always made on time)

Cellular data service turned off June 12

Way to go Verizon!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ddanise,

We would love to help in getting to the bottom of this. What model iPhone do you have? Are the issues you’re having just data or data/calls? When did this start happening?  Please elaborate more on your situation.

-TakendraW_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes