Shady Buisness Practice.
fastdad51

Hi Folks,

I just need to advise the customer base of what I would call "shady business".

I was in last December (2014) to preform a normal/scheduled upgrade from the Iphone4 to a IP6/32gb. I was expecting to pay the nominal fee for the IP6,  and out the door.  Here I was introduced to "Dan". Nice guy. (but on commission I think)

He took me through the process. During the process, he detailed for me that the current Verizon sale promotion "it would be foolish for me not to take advantage of using my upgrade for the Ipad-mini.16gb AND receive the IP6 at zero cost to me". We went over this statement many times to ensure I wasn't mistaken of what the promotion had to offer. We even went over the costing in detail to prove to me this was in fact the deal. It sounded to good to be true.. and it was.

Here's how that work it during the sale:

They get you all fired up getting you to commit, then slip the "edge program" on you at the register when your focused on your in-hand devises. (at least that's how it went down with me). The definition of "zero cost to me" = "Zero cost  to me that day" that's not at all how it was presented.

Bottom line, I was bamboozled! I'm now paying ~$30/month/2ys for the phone. Under contract. I know of two other friends that took the bait also.  We all feel ashamed of ourselves and how Verizon treats the client base.

I've been back twice to the store and talked to Dan, after I reviewed my upcoming charges online, the first time was to review the devise charges and Dan took me to the a in-house accounting site that detailed charges and all seemed correct, the second time was to "have him tell me truth. I'm smelling class action suit. I'm pretty sure many, many others took the hit nation wide.

Jeff Reeves

ABQ NM

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Shady Buisness Practice.
curryl62

This happened to me too last time I went to upgrade my son's BASIC phone. We have had to pay a ridiculous amount for a BASIC phone (like $150) because the exact same thing happened - salesman made pitch and I knew there was a catch - even after going through the pricing in detail with him it sounded like it was an above-board good deal. I thought it was because basic phones are so , well, BASIC. But it was a rip off. After this experience, a phone agent told me never to do business with Verizon through a local store because of the commission factor.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, I assume you mean the 64 GB iPhone 6 as it does not come in a 32 GB capacity.Smiley Happy

Next, what plan do you have? What is your data allowance? Simply because you are on Edge does not mean you are going to have a total cost for the phone of $31/month.

If you are on the More Everything plan, you will receive AT LEAST a $15/month credit because you purchased your phone on Edge. If you have a 6 GB or higher data allowance, you will receive a $25/month credit for being on Edge, which brings your monthly cost for the phone down to $6/month. Over the 2 yr purchase agreement, that comes to $144 for the phone you will have paid, plus tax of course If you have the $25 credit/month. If you ONLY have the $15 credit/month, the amount you will have paid for the phone will increase to $384 plus tax of course.

Let's compare that to the price you would have paid if you purchased the phone at a discounted rate in exchange for signing a new 2 yr contract. $300 PLUS the $30 upgrade fee, bringing your cost for the phone to $330 plus tax of course.

Looking at the different prices, it is CHEAPER for you to purchase the phone with Edge if you have a 6 GB or higher data allowance. If you have less than a 6 GB data allowance, it would have been cheaper to make the purchase on contract.

fastdad51

Correct call rcschnoor, however ill-relevant. they miss- represented the program. I, as others where lead to believe we buy the pad and the phone was free. Yes, I relize its too good to be true, I spent an hour going over the details with the version rep.

0 Likes