Since upgrading to iOS 9.3.1 I no longer have service anywhere in my town. I have to use WiFi calling at my home to have service. Why?
Thehails

Loss of service since upgrading to iOS 9.3.1

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Since upgrading to iOS 9.3.1 I no longer have service anywhere in my town. I have to use WiFi calling at my home to have service. Why?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thehails, getting the newest update should always improve your phone instead of hindering it. Let’s get this fixed so you can enjoy the stellar service. Do you have WiFi calling turned on? Settings>Phone>WiFi Calling>Turn on WiFi calling. Regarding the service, is it showing “no service” or are you getting signal bars?
ZangY_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Since upgrading to iOS 9.3.1 I no longer have service anywhere in my town. I have to use WiFi calling at my home to have service. Why?
Thehails

I have Wi-Fi turned on. That is the only way I have connection. The Verizon connection shows zero bars, or no service

Sent from Outlook Mobile

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello,

Please try resetting your connection settings. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Setting. When the phone reboots, check to see if your phone has service again.

If it does not, do the same thing again. But, turn the phone off first, then remove the SIM Card, and then turn it back on to do the reset. Re-insert the SIM Card once the phone finishes the reboot after resetting the Network Settings again.

0 Likes
Thehails

I had already tried that. I upgraded the phone and have service. Perhaps it is because it was a non-VZW phone. My wife has not updated her non-VZW phone and it is working fine.

[Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's a possibility. For the most part, any iPhone as of the iPhone 6 should be universal across all carriers in the USA. The only difference would be is if the phone is an International vs USA Domestic model. The other different would be if the iPhone itself were unlocked. When buying phones through carriers (Verizon being the exception here), the phones are typically locked to the carrier. Buying iPhones through Apple will give you a factory unlocked device, which will accept and work on any SIM/Carrier which the phone has hardware support for. Apple enforces iPhone locking through their Activation Server. This "Activation server" is checked each time the phone is restored or updated.

If a lock was the case, iTunes, if you used that, would have complained about the activation policy of of the device during restoration. I see this all the time when mistaking a Sprint phone for a Verizon phone when inserting a Verizon SIM Card.

0 Likes
Thehails

We changed carriers from Pioneer to Verizon due to moving. Pioneer iPhones are CDMA, hence our move to Verizon. An unlock should be no issue. The phones had been working fine. The tower is not Verizon, or so I was told.

[Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Got it. What model iPhone are we talking about?

0 Likes
Thehails

iPhone 6S

[Removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know it's upsetting to have no service on your device Thehails. We want to do all we can to get this working for you. We may need to replace the SIM card to get it working with our network. You can get a SIM card from a corporate store location or by calling our customer service team.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes