Spontaneous Call Forwarding
guitaaron
Enthusiast - Level 2

According to tech support there are only two ways to forward calls:  The *72 function on the phone, and by calling Verizon.  This does not appear to be the case.

I have an iPhone 5 and my wife has a 5s.  For the second time in three months, both our phones stopped receiving calls and started forwarding to random voice mail services at the same time.

When I discovered neither of our phones was receiving calls this morning (outgoing calls still work fine), I called tech support.  Support told me one (but not both) of the phones had call forwarding turned on.  It was forwarding to a random number in Arlington, VA - we live in Atlanta.  When the tech removed forwarding on one phone, it fixed both phones.

What causes spontaneous call forwarding?  Why do our phones spontaneously stop receiving calls, seemingly at random?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Spontaneous Call Forwarding
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

guitaaron, this is a mystery to us too! Call forwarding can only be activated manually or on your device or by contacting our customer service department. Did you recently recieve an application software update or download a new application to your phone?

For more details regarding the Call Forwarding feature, click http://vz.to/1sYm9Lu

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

guitaaron, this is a mystery to us too! Call forwarding can only be activated manually or on your device or by contacting our customer service department. Did you recently recieve an application software update or download a new application to your phone?

For more details regarding the Call Forwarding feature, click http://vz.to/1sYm9Lu

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes
guitaaron
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's even more of a mystery; after tech support turned off call forwarding yesterday it's back on today. On both phones this time.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

guitaaron,

I'd be concerned about that forwarding too! You can disable call forwarding any time by dialing *73 or through your online account http://vz.to/1uJLUzS. Has anything been changed on the phones? Any new settings, or applications or anything that we can think of?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
thehonakers
Enthusiast - Level 1

this has happened to me twice this week, as well- after updating my iphone 5c.  there's no way to know my calls are being forwarded until my daughter tells me she received a call that went to her phone!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I can see how this would be concerning.  We don't want either of you missing calls.  This sounds like an iOS 8 feature that has to do with Facetime. I'm thinking the problem you are having is due to the Facetime feature "iPhone Cellular Calls" which allows you to "Use your iPhone cellular connection to make and receive calls on devices signed into your iCloud account when they are nearby and on Wi-Fi. Are the 2 phones signed into the same iCloud account? Go to Settings> iCloud to check.  If so, you have 2 options.  1.Log them out of the primary account and sign in using their own personal AppleID accounts. If you were using a single iCloud account so everyone has access to a shared account for Music/Movie/App purchases, you should switch over to the new iOS 8 Family Sharing feature.   2. Turn off the iPhone Cellular Calls option in the Settings > Facetime screen. This will stop the calls from going to multiple devices for now but in the long run, it would be best to set up multiple AppleIDs and start using the Family Sharing feature.    TamaraH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Streat346

Can I go to Verizon to ask for a print off of the messages from the lines on my account if I am the account owner

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Streat346,  I definitely understand wanting to know your options to view your usage! That is a great option. You can actually view a list of your usage, including messages, right through your online account! http://vz.to/16bBGlI That won't show the actual messages though. We don't save those for privacy reasons but if they are still on the phone and you need to print them you can forward your texts to an email address and print them from there.  AndrewT_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!