Stop Hotspot from automatically turning on for computer when router stops working.
MarilynKaye

Need to stop this, it's eating up our data.

I did not believe my husband when he told me that his hotspot, on his iPhone, was automatically turning on when his computer lost the router signal, which happens often as his computer is out in a office, away from our router in the house.

But he showed me.

We made sure the Hotspot on his iPhone was turned off.

On his Apple computer we turned off the wi-fi connection.

Sure enough in a moment the little chain-lnk appeared on his computer's status bar at the top,

and checking his iPhone the Hotspot had turned itself on.

How can we stop the Hotspot from automatically turning on.

Husband sometimes does not notice when it happens and eats up our data fast if he is watching YouTubs videos.

Thank you,

Marilyn-Kaye

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Stop Hotspot from automatically turning on for computer when router stops working.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you removed the remembered SSID for the hotspot from the computer?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Stop Hotspot from automatically turning on for computer when router stops working.
MarilynKaye

My husband often needs to use the Hotspot and likes it to come up as a option.

He just doesn't want it to log in by itself.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think Ann was suggesting that the stored info be removed so the computer doesn't automatically try to connect to the iPhone when WiFi isn't available. The information would have to be re-entered manually every time Hotspot functionality is needed.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

In the day and age of the “Internet of Things”, it can be a bit unsettling when devices connect on their own. You’re in the right place for some tips and tricks for sure, MarilynKaye. Ann154 and dexman have offered some great starter steps. I found this page http://spr.ly/6587D7TwJ to have lots of great information. If you scroll to the final section, you’ll see information that pertains to what you describe. Along the way, you and your husband may also find other steps that apply to make the computer and phone behave in the way you both want. Be sure to let us know what happens, even if you end up reaching out to Apple for more in-depth support.

George_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes