Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Text messages in airplane mode
Jamesca82

I’ve looked at a few other posts and not quite sure I have the same situation.  I’m currently visiting Thailand, my iPhone is in airplane mode and I’m connected to Wi-Fi.  I’m getting iMessages as expected (blue bubbles), but I’m also getting regular SMS text messages (green bubbles).

Wi-Fi calling is turned on, is that why they’re still coming though?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Text messages in airplane mode
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for reaching out here on this platform. If you have Wi-Fi calling on that would be the reason. I would put the phone in Airplane mode if you would rather not receive any calls/messagess. -Dolores

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for reaching out here on this platform. If you have Wi-Fi calling on that would be the reason. I would put the phone in Airplane mode if you would rather not receive any calls/messagess. -Dolores

0 Likes
MJohnson2

If you have Wifi calling on, but phone is in airplane mode and cellular is turned off, then you won't be charged international travel fees for sending/receiving texts-  is this correct?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Good morning, MJohnson2! You have a great question! When you have the device on Airplane Mode it will not connect to the network. Does this help clarify?  ~Rachel

0 Likes
SouthFlorida

I did not receive my text messages in airplane mode.   When i returned home to my ipad, there were several messages received while I was in airplane mode.  None of those messages show up on my iphone.   Why is text messaging not syncing?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I understand your concern. When a device is in Airplane Mode, it is not able to connect to a cellular network. Since text messages strictly come through cellular, the text messages would not be able to be delivered, until the device is taken back off out Airplane Mode. However, if the messages were iMessages, you would still be able to receive them in Airplane Mode, as long as the device is connected to Wi-Fi. Just to clarify, have you had trouble receiving any text messages, since turning Airplane Mode off?

*Gabriel

0 Likes