Texting / airplane mode / international
JACTRE61

When travelling to Canada I keep my phone on airplane mode and connect to the wi-fi so I can text.  However, I am am not able to text and it's making me turn off airplane mode, which then starts the roaming charges. Has there been any changes to this functionality? Do I need to change my settings?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Texting / airplane mode / international
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You can ONLY iMessage to other iPhone (iPad, iPod and Mac) users when in Airplane Mode and connected to WiFi. You cannot send regular text messages. You can use an app like Whatsapp but to communicate with others they will also need to have it installed on their devices.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us JACTRE61. I understand the importance of managing your usage while out of the country. When placing your phone in airplane mode, this will disable calls, cellular data and messages. When you were previously able to send text messages, were you using a third party messaging application? You do have the option to install the Verizon Messages app and continue to send/receive text messages via WiFi while in airplane mode. For further details click, http://vz.to/171i7xf

Thank You,

MichelleS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Which iPhone do you have? If you have an iPhone 6 or greater, you can use Wi-Fi calling and this will also allow texting and calling while on Wifi for no additional charge.

The other option for the iPhone 5S and before, or if you do not have wifi calling set up on the iPhone 6 or above is to download the Verizon Message Plus app. This will allow text messages through wifi.

As stated above, without doing the above, you will only be able to iMessage other Apple devices over wifi.