Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Transfer number
marciaz

Recently I upgraded from a prepaid basic phone to a prepaid smartphone. When I ordered the smartphone (iPhone 4s) I had to choose a new number. The Verizon lady I was chatting with assured me that I would be able to call in and have my current number assigned to my new device. This has turned into a nightmare! I spent about 2 hours one night just trying to get ahold of an actual person instead of just bouncing from menu to menu and getting nothing but dead ends. When I finally got through to a person I could barely understand her and she seemed very impatient with me (this is my first smartphone). However, it sounded like she would be able to transfer my number. I was on hold again for awhile. When she came back she said that their system is very slow and could she call me back on a different phone when the process was completed. The next day I tried to send a text message from my basic phone but it didn't work. I logged onto My Verizon (with my current phone number) and saw that my new smartphone was now listed as my device. I thought I was home free even though the Verizon lady never called me back.. However, when I look at my smartphone, it shows that the number is the one that was assigned to me when I bought the phone.  I tried calling *611 from both of my phones but keep getting a tone that sounds like a busy signal. I don't think either one of my phones are working now and I'm not sure what to do. I'm so discouraged!!! Does anybody have any ideas?  Maybe I should just go into a Verizon store tomorrow. Hopefully they might be able to help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Transfer number
Snn5
Sr. Leader

I would go to a corporate Verizon store and get face to face time.  Keep it simple.  Just say you upgraded to a smartphone from a basic, but did so online and were not given the option to keep your number. 

Reps say you can choose to enter a number during checkout, but I never found it and wound up starting my prepaid over the phone so I could keep my number.  They also say you can change your number in My Verizon, which you can, but not to your old number.  Given enough time, your old number may be lost.  Time is of the essence.

marciaz

I decided to give chat one more try before going to the store and was able to connect with someone very helpful and understanding. Within 15 minutes I was up and running! He restored my faith in Verizon customer service. I hate those automated systems that just seem to bounce you from menu to menu but getting nowhere. Thank you for your reply!

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

You're welcome.

0 Likes