Transferring upgrade to a different line
tomatoketchup

I have a legacy family plan with 3 lines:  my line is an iPhone 5S with unlimited data; the other 2 are feature phones with no text or data packages used by older family members who just need a simple flip phone.

For the last few years, I have been using the upgrades on the other 2 feature phone lines to buy the newest iPhones, activating them on those lines, canceling the data package, and transferring them to my own line in order to retain my unlimited data.  I am aware that this loophole no longer works because Verizon now forces you to keep the data plan active for the full 2 years of your contract whenever a phone is activated on a given line.

I average 1.5 gb of data per month and have never gone over 2 gb, so keeping unlimited data is not a huge priority for me.  However, if I use my own upgrade to get a new iPhone and switch to a tiered data plan, when next year rolls around, can I still transfer one of the upgrades from my other lines to my own line and not end up with an extra data plan?  What I do not want is to end up with 2 data plans; my own, and a data plan on a flip phone that will never be used.

If any Verizon employees can answer this, I'd greatly appreciate it.  I've called and used online chat, and have received different answers to this question depending on who I spoke with.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Transferring upgrade to a different line
Not applicable

I believe Verizon expects a line upgrading to a smartphone to have data. That's why they closed the loophole besides the whole unlimited data thing. I also feel they are trying to move people off basic phones. And get them to move to More Everything plans. Eventually everything will be VoLTE and there aren't any LTE basic phones I doubt there will ever be. Also eventually everyone will be on More Everything and this requirement will be moot.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The policy now requires the basic phone line to keep the smartphone data plan on the line for the duration of the contract when upgrading to a smartphone. I believe it counts even if you are using the upgrade on a different line on the account.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I believe Verizon expects a line upgrading to a smartphone to have data. That's why they closed the loophole besides the whole unlimited data thing. I also feel they are trying to move people off basic phones. And get them to move to More Everything plans. Eventually everything will be VoLTE and there aren't any LTE basic phones I doubt there will ever be. Also eventually everyone will be on More Everything and this requirement will be moot.